SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The purpose of this position is to provide guidance and support to the production operations in
the area of the Team Lead responsibility. It is the responsibility of the team lead to provide leadership through teaching, coaching, and mentoring team members to create a continuous improvement quality management culture with the specific production team she/he is assigned to lead. The goal of the team lead is to improve their team and product line or family group’s production (quality and productivity), morale, and safety. This person will be the expert or go to person for all processes under the area(s) of responsibility.
The Team Lead will have the responsibility to use data daily to communicate the current state of their team and product line or family group. The Team Lead will continually engage team members and program leadership to develop, implement, and if necessary adjust daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly actions to eliminate waste. The result of these efforts will be the decrease of cycle and lead times for their team as well as the overall product line or family group. The Team Lead will provide input to training needs through defect and process improvement data and insure that a quality product is produced through TEAMWORK. To do this, the Team Lead is responsible for the overall performance of all program production delegated to their oversight.
The Team Lead will perform all tasks that are associated with leading a team of operators to improve a specific production area and overall product line or family group. The Team Lead will coordinate activities of coworkers involved in manufacturing, production, or assembly work. When asked, the Team Lead will represent KMM with customers. Also, the Team Lead will be expected to aid and assist team members with difficult situations, communicating with program leadership, and when necessary, HR personnel.
BCA only – This position is the Team Lead for a specific BCA production process (ex: 1st end, routing, 2nd end).
The Team Lead will conduct themselves in a professional manner and at all times be responsive and respectful.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide leadership to a specific production process (1st end, routing, 2nd end) to produce portions of a bundle in the most efficient manner possible to ensure that the overall workflow is below Takt time per schedule requirements.
2. Participate with other team leads in morning and afternoon 5-10 minutes meetings to monitor and if necessary adjust specific process flow to meet daily production line goals.
3. BCA only – Each year, BCA team leads will rotate to provide leadership to a different
BCA production process (this will be evaluated on a yearly basis).
4. Hold SI&A and QID for processes within area of responsibility as required by program.
5. Facilitate daily 10 minute progress report meetings with team to review daily tasks, share process improvements, get team feedback and focus efforts in a constructive manner to meet the customer requirements.
6. Engage the production process operators throughout the day to teach, coach, and mentor continuous improvement quality management concepts and actions.
7. Engage production process team members each week regarding their performance metrics and provide assistance to team members as they develop weekly actions plans to improve
8. Communicate daily with the Program Manufacturing Supervisor and when necessary the Program Manager, to ensure that daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly information, data, and action items regarding quality, delivery, morale, and safety goals are being met.
9. Work with the Manufacturing Supervisor and Trainer to identify and assist establishment of specific daily/weekly/yearly trainings as needed to ensure that operators have the necessary training to provide a quality product as well as reduce rework and over processing.
10. Read and understand different processes and through communication with Engineering, ensure that they are clear and concise so they can be understood and followed by operators, ie. Help improve Assembly Instructions/Assembly Codes so they are more user friendly/clear.
11. Enhance operator abilities to Verify/Repair defective and damaged material and record in the approved manner.
12. Engage operators to complete their tasks in the most efficient (quality and productivity) manner possible. Assign tasks to operators based on their training and individual capabilities and ensure that proper training has been provided to enhance their ability to provide a quality product on time.
13. Ensure that all KMM policies and procedures are followed in a fair and unbiased manner.
14. Facilitate the performance reviews and competency reports of employee team members on or before deadlines.
15. Responsible for ensuring a quality product is provided and that necessary schedule requirements are met.
16. Performs other related duties and assignments as required including building product when asked.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITITES
1. This position requires outstanding people skills and demonstrated leadership ability.
2. Knowledge of production quality requirements and a proven skill to perform the tasks while consistently meeting the quality and productivity standards.
3. Employee must also have a strong background in basic computer processes and Microsoft
4. Good communication and organizational skills. Additionally, this position requires the employee is able to communicate (verbally and written) fluently in the English language.
5. These requirements may be temporarily adjusted or modified at the time of any opening and will be based on current labor availability and staffing needs. In these instances it is expected the employee will be able to meet all requirements within 180 days of accepting the position.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED
The position requires the use of a computer, related software and tools necessary in completing job tasks. Standard office equipment us is required and a number of hand operated tools while performing the production operations and assist in training.
1. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may have extended periods in
which they sit or stand throughout the day while building product or assisting operators in their tasks and training.
2. Some lifting may be expected from the individual to move and transport materials to designated areas. (35-50 lbs)
3. This position requires the mobility to move throughout the production area to work with and assist operators.
4. The ability to use a computer and computer related programs as well as standard office equipment is required.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information and can interpret the information as needed accurately to internal and external teammates. The individual can analyze work performed and verify accuracy and completion of tasks. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Problem Solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully by using knowledge gained through work experience. The individual provides process improvement ideas and solutions to problems and is proactive in addressing potential issues. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of providing and seeking assistance when needed. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Oral Communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and persuasively at all times including stressful situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language. The individual must be able to effectively communicate through various forms of communication both written and verbal and internal and external.
• Delegation—the individual delegates work assignments based on individual competencies and contract or project needs, gives authority to work independently however retains the accountability for the outcome of the delegated tasks, sets expectations, timelines and monitors delegated activities.
• Leadership—the individual inspires others to perform well, accepts feedback from others. This individual must be able to show leadership through personal actions and a good solid work ethic that promotes teamwork and enthusiasm. The ability to listen and understand problems and issues clearly and to recognize subordinate or coworker problem, issues and frustrations with processes to assist in resolving these problems is critical to this function. The individual understands and practices a servant leadership attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding while providing guidance and direction.
• Time Management Skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Quality Management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary. The individual demonstrates an understanding of the importance of the quality of work necessary to meet the customer expectations and the importance of their function in that process. The individual meets the measurement for FPY where applicable and strives to make improvements where necessary. Evaluation of quality reports daily to assist production operations where necessary to eliminate quality defects. This competency will be demonstrated through increases in operator FPY.
• Judgment— the individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through quality work and attention to detail. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and is willing to seek assistance where needed. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures. This individual must have the ability to listen and engage others to understand and ensure that decisions affecting them have their input and ideas evaluated. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Planning/Organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The individual participates in 5S + Safety daily and keeps a clean and organized work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility. This competency will be demonstrated through cycle time reductions (productivity increase) and decreases in daily defects (improved FPY)
• Safety and Security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly and provides assistance as needed to the Safety Committee.
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and be able to handle job pressure and interruptions. There may be times were extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The Team Lead must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer. Clear communication with supervisors in regards to production understanding of the process is paramount to the program success and employee success. The Team Lead will train, instruct,
and monitor support staff roles and responsiveness to customers.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
This position requires a certain level of independence and self assurance as well as critical thinking for decision making.
This position is considered a leadership position and as such is a representative of KMM through their contact with customers, vendors and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods
of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside
KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free