Job Title: Program Manager
Program: As Assigned
Position Code: PM
EEO Class: Exec/Sr. Level Officials and Mgrs.
FLSA Status: Salary/Exempt
Summary of responsibilities:
The Program Manager is responsible for the overall performance and profitability of all programs assigned. This position is the primary contact with the customer and as such it is expected that the Program Manager will represent KMM in a professional manner at all times and be responsive and respectful. The Program Manager’s goal is to improve profits & cash flow. They will have the responsibility to communicate concise and clear data to assist and strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow while meeting program schedules and improving processes, to assist the team in process improvements and providing input to training needs through defect and process improvement data and to monitor and insure that a quality product is produced through teamwork. To do this, the Program Manager is responsible for the overall performance of all program production delegated to their oversight.
The Program Manager will conduct themselves in a professional manner and at all times be responsive and respectful.
This includes but is not limited to knowing, understanding and supporting Engineering needs and performance, procurement and material management, manpower and equipment needs, productivity and training needs and profitability of the program(s). This position requires a minimum of weekly reporting on the current reporting format through the designated leadership.
This includes but is not limited to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
• Program profitability – monitoring and reporting program profitability continuously through assessments of customer satisfaction, productivity, material management, quality matrix information and other various tracking information. Monitor overall program progress against committed plan, reports progress, and raises issues as necessary through current reporting method.
• Develop implement, monitor, and adjust a program capacity management systems to enhance profits:
Tooling and Capital Equipment
Planning and master scheduling
Quality and delivery performance
Building customer relations
Continuous improvement / lean
• Monitor and direct or perform day to day operations of the assigned program to ensure that policies and procedures are being followed, that goals and objectives are met, and that services and projects are being accomplished efficiently and effectively; takes corrective action as necessary
• Help develop and monitor the program’s budget / oversee financial well being of the programs by analyzing cost effectiveness and exercising cost controls; prepares, submits and justifies budget enhancement requests.
• Customer satisfaction – Assessments of customer satisfaction through customer report card information, FPY data and frequent interaction with customer representatives
• Monitor and provide input and leadership with respect to process and continuous improvements. Identify areas for continuous improvement with the goal of continuously driving out waste to increase profit.
• Evaluate effectiveness of training and assist in identifying and helping to develop effective training plan to meet the program requirements.
• Facilitate resolution of issues. This may include setting up/moderating a discussion, involving Human Resources.
• Develop and direct the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards where applicable for the program.
• Plan, organize, administer, review and evaluate the work of subordinate professionals, technical, support and operational staff where present, through subordinate supervisors and lead workers.
• Provide for the selection, training, professional development and work evaluation of subordinate staff and makes recommendations on hiring, termination, promotion and discipline as required
• Monitor and stay abreast with technology, legal (i.e. ITAR & Export Laws) and operational changes that affect the activities and work processes of the program; make recommendations for and develop and carry out improvement to the program to meet changing mission parameters and requirements.
• Prioritize and allocate available program resources.
• Perform complex administrative duties requiring oversight, attention to detail and analysis; perform strategic planning and financial analysis, including assisting in preparation of specialized program and project budgets to include staffing and operational needs
• Prepares a variety of written correspondence, reports, procedures, directives and other materials
• Knowledge and enforcement of all KMM policies and procedures is required
• This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks
• Maintain a document for weekly review that contains all capacity information such as life cycle evaluation of critical tooling, productivity relative to manpower, and floor space.
* Perform other related duties and assignments as required.
Education, prior work experience, and skills and knowledge:
• Prior experience in program or project management is preferred
• Strong program or project management skills managing complex, multi-faceted projects resulting in measurable success and program growth.
• Experience with Lean Manufacturing, concepts, tools and application.
• Proficient in using technology as a management reporting tool and experience working with information technology staff to develop and implement program evaluation systems.
• Understanding of employee performance improvement plans.
• Able to perform a variety of complex tasks.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details.
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Dynamics, Microsoft Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
• A working knowledge of required production standards as they apply to programs (JSTD, IPC 620, and IPC 610) that are contract and customer requirements.
• Demonstrated problem-solving ability.
• Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional areas and teams.
• Strong time-management skills.
• Personal qualities on integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for KMM’s mission.
• Engineering degree and/or Master’s degree
• Manufacturing experience
• Lean Manufacturing training and/or work experience
• Five plus years experience in program management/engineering role/advanced manufacturing
• Three years in a manufacturing environment
Physical requirements, i.e. vision, lifting, standing, sitting, etc, and environment/working conditions:
This position will require long periods of computer use while performing the reporting, tracking and planning requirements. The employee must have the ability to move freely throughout the production area to effectively evaluate program status and assist where needed with machinery, tooling and program analysis. This position requires the ability to clearly communicate through verbal and written means and will require frequent use of phone, e-mail and other standard office communication devises.
Equipment and machinery used:
The position requires the use of a computer, related software and other standard office equipment.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information and can interpret the information as needed accurately to internal and external teammates. The individual can analyze work performed and verify accuracy and completion of tasks. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Problem solving—the individual identify and assist in the resolution of problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully by using knowledge gained through work experience. The individual provides process improvement ideas and solutions to problems and is proactive in addressing potential issues. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of providing and seeking assistance when needed. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Oral and written communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings effectively. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language. The individual must be able to effectively communicate through various forms of communication both written and verbal and internal and external.
• Delegation—the individual delegates work assignments based on individual competencies and contract or project needs, gives authority to work independently however retains the accountability for the outcome of the delegated tasks, sets expectations, timelines and monitors delegated activities.
• Leadership—the individual inspires others to perform well and is willing to accept feedback from others. This individual must be able to show leadership through personal actions and a good solid work ethic that promotes teamwork and enthusiasm. The ability to listen and understand problems and issues clearly and to recognize subordinate or coworker problem, issues and frustrations with processes to assist in resolving these problems is critical to this function. The individual understands and practices a servant leadership attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding while providing guidance, assistance and direction.
• Time Management skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Management skills—the individual can effectively manage projects or programs through effective time management and ensure that critical issues are resolved in a timely manner. Effective organization skills and daily attention to the elimination of waste in personal, department, and production processes is required. The individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement, makes self available to staff and provides regular performance feedback, has a plan for the development of subordinates’ skills and encourages growth within their organization.
• Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary. The individual demonstrates an understanding of the importance of the quality of work necessary to meet the customer expectations and the importance of their function in that process. The individual meets the measurement for FPY where applicable and strives to make improvements where necessary. This competency will be demonstrated through increases in operator FPY. Evaluation of quality reports daily to assist production operations where necessary to eliminate quality defects.
• Judgment—the individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through quality work and attention to detail. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual is willing to seek assistance where needed. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications. This individual must have the ability to listen and engage others to understand and ensure that decisions affecting them have their input and ideas evaluated.
• Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The individual participates in 5S + Safety daily and keeps a clean and organized work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility. This competency will be demonstrated through cycle time reductions (productivity increase) and decreases in daily defects (improved FPY)
• Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly and provides assistance as needed to the Safety Committee.
Other (e.g., customer contact or access to confidential information):
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and strive for 100% quality as well as be able to handle the job pressure of schedules and customer changes as well as occasional interruptions. There may be times where extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The ____ must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer. Clear communication with supervisors in regards to production understanding of the process is paramount to the program success and employee success.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
The employee is representing KMM as a leader and/or through their contact with customers, vendors, community members and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
This position is considered a leadership position and as such is a representative of KMM and is therefore expected to be performed in a professional manner at all times.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace