The purpose of this position is to provide a quality product to KMM internal and external customers. The Production Operator position requires attention to detail, following work instructions and processes while using their expertise to assist in process improvements. It is imperative that operators are able to function as part of a team. They will have the responsibility to communicate concise and clear data, to assist and strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow while meeting program schedules and improving processes, to assist the team in process improvements and provide input to training needs through suggestions, defect and process improvement data and to ensure the production of quality products through teamwork.
It is a requirement to perform all tasks involved in the production process of KMM’s products, which requires a high degree of manual dexterity for handling and assembling small components, and the ability to sit for long periods. Use of Microscopes and magnification is required on a daily basis. This position requires individuals to follow standard work procedures and practice safe work habits to ensure products meet quality standards and are produced in a manner that is both efficient and safe. In order to meet the requirements for teamwork, quality standards and production schedules, it is essential that all employees adhere to attendance, productivity and quality work standards and all of KMM policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Read, comprehend and follow work instructions and perform work as assigned by Team Lead or Manufacturing Supervisor.
- Lift production kits and move to appropriate destination as designated by the process steps.
- Perform the following processes:
- Prep components; Assemble components into PWB
- Solder; Bond
- In-Process Inspection
- Coating prep/de-mask
- Wire cutting & crimping contacts
- Assemble mechanical hardware
- Evaluate and communicate any mechanical, material, or scheduling issues with the Team Lead
- Initiate and participate in Point Improvements on the factory floor.
- Participate in Kaizen activities as they arise throughout the production process.
- Participates in root cause/preventative actions because of Lot Rejection activities.
- Record in-process production defects, awareness of Cell FPY data, and active participation in preventative actions.
- Work with Team Lead to ensure that the process, tooling, training and understanding of productivity standards exists in order to meet the daily 80% productivity standard.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area and practices the 5S + Safety requirements.
- Follow proper handling and disposal of chemicals used in the performance of the production process.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as required by job tasks.
- Adhere to all KMM safety policies and practices, as well as manufacturer recommendations in operation of all equipment and tools.
- Requires the ability to work flexible schedules and overtime as needed to meet the customer delivery schedule.
- This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Employee must be able to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart, and must have the ability to distinguish colors based on the Ishihara’s Design Charts as needed for various processes.
- This position will require certifications and/or training in various processes throughout the production process as needed to perform those functions including but not limited to JSTD.
- Basic math skills are required – Basic math skills defined as the ability to perform simple multiplication, division, addition, subtraction and measurements depending on the process step requirement.
- Read, comprehend, retain and apply information relating to standards and specifications through provided classroom and on the job training.
- Ability to read and understand product requirements customer specifications and be able to evaluate and communicate any mechanical, material, or scheduling issues with the Team Lead.
- Ability to read and understand information relating to usage, personal protective devices, safe labeling, proper handling and proper disposal of any chemical used in the production process being performed.
- Due to production schedules, this position requires the operator to demonstrate reliability to meet attendance, quality and productivity standards.
- Must be able to work in a team-oriented environment.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED
- The position requires but is not limited to the use of the following:
- Soldering and de-soldering irons
- Component prep machines
- Crimp tools
- Wire strippers
- Torque and ratchet screwdrivers
- Heat guns
- Various other small tools necessary in the production of KMM’s circuit card/cable harness assembly products (x-acto, cutter, and tweezers).
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as masks, gloves and protective eyewear may be required, depending on the functions being performed.
- The position requires a high degree of manual dexterity in order to handle small objects.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be sitting for pro-longed times.
- Extended use of a microscope on a daily basis may be required, depending on functions being performed.
- Reaching, bending and lifting of 10-30 lbs. is required to move product as needed.
- Ability to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart to be able to identify various labels, part identifications etc., in the production process
- Ability to distinguish colors – Certain processes may require the ability to distinguish color codes for proper material or part identification as needed for the production process.
Ability to use hand tools for part prepping and soldering is required.