The purpose of this position is to provide component engineering guidance and support to operations and to provide a work environment where coworkers have the tools, training and leadership to build a quality product with the goal to improve profits & cash flow. The position requires reviewing customer’s documentation and interpreting them accurately into KMM work instructions and job aids along with the ability to determine the correct tooling and consumables for receiving, which may require communication with customer engineering and KMM procurement group. This position requires the employee to communicate concise and clear data, to assist and strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow through assistance with process improvements and lean activities, assist the team by providing input to training needs through defect data, and to monitor and ensure the production of a quality product through teamwork. This position performs tasks that requires the ability to maintain confidential information on behalf of KMM customers and KMM. The Component Engineering Technicians’ responsibilities require participation as a leadership team member to ensure the team needs are satisfied in component engineering production processes, customer quality and delivery through engagement with Manufacturing Supervisors, Team Leads, Engineering, Quality personnel and production operators.
This position will be collaborating with Leadership team members to provide team member accountability and ensure the successful accomplishment of the various tasks and duties needed to support production operations. The Component Engineering Technician will uphold company policies, support training as a KMM Production Process Expert (PPE) or as Training Engineering support and continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide direct communication with customers, supplier, and co-workers to engage in problem solving.
- Provide direct operator support in receiving
- Provide leadership in continuous improvement activities to create flow in production.
- Perform production engineering.
- Process revision control of all customer component documentation to KMM configuration management.
- Write receiving work instructions to define critical characteristics and ensure proper measuring tools are established.
- Perform correction action and root cause analysis
- Assist in any component related quality issue (practical problem solving).
- Work with quality in submittal to customer.
- Review and understand customer specifications.
- Use of customer portal for specification updates, drawing changes etc.
- Conduct general problem solving and aide in establishing solutions.
- Participate in Lean Activities and assist production in implementation of point of improvement ideas, participate in Lean walks and continually evaluate current practice with the goal of eliminating waste in production operations.
- Ensure work expectations for scope, schedule, cost and responsiveness.
- Assist Procurement with Supplier component inquiries:
- Clarify customer requirements; Clarify internal KMM requirements (i.e. packaging, finish)
- Write and ensure the timely incorporation of action logs with regard to customer component issues.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as required by job task.
- Adhere to all KMM safety policies and procedures, as well as manufacturer recommendations on operation of all equipment and tools.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Requires a two (2) year technical degree or a minimum of two (2) years’ work experience in related field, or has demonstrated work experience at KMM with the necessary skills to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to understand/interpret customer product specifications within reasonable length of time for training.
- Ability to read written instructions, drawings, specifications and ensures that other written and visual standards are being followed.
- Requires good communication and organizational skills and the ability to communicate fluently (verbally and written) in the English language.
- Working knowledge of various computer programs including MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access), Dynamics, Visio, Acrobat, and AutoCAD.
- Ability to work well with others, and participate in team and cell building environments.
- High level of mechanical aptitude is required. This includes disassembly, repair and reassembly of complex computer controlled equipment.
- Requirements may be modified at the time of the opening, and will be based on current labor availability and staffing needs. In these instances, the employee must be able to meet all requirements within 180 days of accepting the position.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED
- Requires the daily use of a computer and computer related software. Must be able to accurately and proficiently enter and retrieve data as needed for the job tasks.
- Standard office equipment such as copiers, calculators etc., will be used.
- Manufacturing tooling and equipment used in production operations.
- Must be able to operate a vehicle for occasional travel to various KMM facilities to perform the functions of the job.
- Use of computer to be able to write processes and work instructions as required per essential functions of the job.
- Requires the ability to sit, stand, stoop, and bend.
- Requires ability occasionally lift objects 30-50 lbs. as needed to perform engineering tasks.
- Ability to enter and retrieve data with accuracy and proficiency into the computer.
- Ability to read, write, and count accurately to complete documentation; ability to move freely throughout the factory.