JOB TITLE: Trainer
LOCATION: Dickinson, Hettinger, Regent
PROGRAM: All cable and harness programs at the above locations
POSITION CODE: TRN, P8TRN
EEO CLASS: Administrative Support Worker
FLSA: Non Exempt/Hourly
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The purpose of this position is to develop and provide effective training to meet the customer quality and delivery expectations. This position will require the ability to understand, apply, and implement the six levels of learning and performance assessments to effectively determine if the trainee can meet production requirements before moving onto/back to the production floor. Also, the position requires the trainer demonstrate the ability to evaluate internal data, customer data, and performance metrics to assess the effectiveness of the training meeting production expectations. Effective training requires the ability to provide creative solutions to difficult training processes, patience and the ability to assess individual learning capabilities and apply alternative methods where necessary as well as to be able to communicate in clear and precise terms with coworkers and leadership.
The trainer will work to create individualized and standardized training operations to meet continuously changing needs. The trainer will communicate daily with Program Managers or their designees. The trainer will collaborate with the Training & Development Coordinator, Program Managers, Team Leads, Quality Representatives, and co-workers on the floor to develop, implement, co-facilitate, analyze, assess, and continuously improve program quality and delivery metrics.
It is imperative that the trainer meet the attendance, productivity and quality work requirements as well as adhere to all of KMM policies and procedures.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop specific trainings that meet and exceed all engineering requirements.
- Develop trainings that enable the trainee to meet the goals of the company and/or customer requirements for 100% quality and delivery.
- This position may require training large groups, individuals or development of Train the Trainer models.
- This position will be responsible for working with all areas and departments as needed in training development and applications within KMM to establish and maintain a training matrix for all personnel being trained.
- Interaction with customer representatives may at times be required.
- Understanding and implementation of “Andon” training.
- This position will require knowledge in lean manufacturing principals and be able to assist or lead AIW events, Kaizen events and other lean activities.
- Help with the Flow of Production
- This is done by effectively training operators to perform the work assigned to them.
- Identify “Andon” training needs, etc. when needed.
- Ensure quality is built into product thus reducing the need for rework.
- Create and/or maintain records to identify training needs, frequency of training, recertification and Andon trainings.
- Train to KMM required standards and customer specs and requirements.
- Problem Solving
- Look to help decrease problems with more tailored training that are more specific to the operator’s questions and suggestions.
- Work closely with Quality Assurance (QA) and Engineering for assistance with training preparation.
- Training Tasks
- Write and/or Help Write Training
- Instruct/Facilitate and/or assist others facilitate training
- Setting up training classes/ rooms
- Develop/assist with development of how to read and follow processes and all other required materials for production needs
- Assist with Engineering and production staff to develop and train on new product/process implementation
- Evaluate training needs/ Issues through FPY data
- Incorporate safety into all training
- Effectively and professionally communication with other co-workers/trainees
- Identify and document employee training issues
- Daily interaction with various programs to evaluate training effectiveness and adjust training as necessary to meet those demands
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as required by job task.
- Adhere to all KMM safety policies and practices as well as manufacturer recommendations on operation of all equipment and tools
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required
- This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks
EDUCATION, PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE, AND SPECIALIZED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Have thorough understanding of build requirements for all applicable programs.
- Have the ability to work effectively with engineering staff and customer engineers as needed.
- Must have ability to develop new trainings for operators based on engineering changes in various programs.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in cable and harness operations or the ability to show proficiency in areas to be taught is required for this position.
- A working knowledge of several computer related software applications including, Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Outlook, Project, and Publisher is helpful, but not required.
- Additionally the position requires attention to detail, positive attitude, the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety people and positions
- Demonstrated effective problem solving skills
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate that training success is not how well one can teach, but how well operators can demonstrate what they have learned on the production floor.
- Understanding and application that: People do not learn at the same rate or in the same ways or same instant, but with research-based instruction, they can learn.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED:
The position requires frequent use of
- projection equipment
- related software applications
- standard office equipment (printer, copier, etc)
- a variety of training specific equipment that are used in production operations. (i.e. solder irons, manual and pneumatic contact crimpers and wire strippers, cut and code equipment, various hand assembly tools and essential test equipment.)
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS, I.E. VISION, LIFTING, STANDING, SITTING, ETC, AND ENVIRONMENT/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Requires ability to proficiently use a computer (notebook or desktop), keyboard, and standard office equipment
- Must be able to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart to effectively read and identify markings on wire and material used in the training process, and must have the ability to distinguish colors based on the Ishihara’s Design Charts.
- Requires the ability to present information in a training environment with large and small groups and/or individual training as needed
- This position will require the ability to move freely throughout the facilities to audit, evaluate and perform individual training as needed throughout the day.
- This position requires the ability to communicate in clear, concise and understandable terms (verbally and written) fluently in the English language
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information and can interpret the information as needed accurately to internal and external teammates. The individual can analyze work performed and verify accuracy and completion of tasks. The individual can analyze others learning abilities and work to provide the best possible solution to assist them in the learning process.
- Problem Solving—the individual identify and assist in the resolution of problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully by using knowledge gained through work experience and education. The individual provides process improvement ideas and solutions to problems and is proactive in addressing potential issues. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of providing and seeking assistance when needed.
- Oral and Written Communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings effectively. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language. The individual must be able to effectively communicate through various forms of communication both written and verbal and internal and external.
- Leadership—the individual inspires others to perform well and is willing to accept feedback from others. This individual must be able to show leadership through personal actions and a good solid work ethic that promotes teamwork and enthusiasm. The ability to listen and understand problems and issues clearly and to recognize coworker problem, issues and frustrations with processes to assist in resolving these problems is critical to this function. The individual understands and practices a servant leadership attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding while providing guidance, assistance and direction.
- Time Management skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide effective training in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area.
- Management skills—the individual can effectively manage projects or programs through effective time management and ensure that critical issues are resolved in a timely manner. Effective organization skills and daily attention to the elimination of waste in personal, department, and production processes is required. The individual provides regular performance feedback in various training venues.
- Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide effective training for employees to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary. The individual demonstrates an understanding of the importance of the quality of work necessary to meet the customer expectations and the importance of their function in that process. The individual works with the programs to review quality data to gain an understanding of additional training needs.
- Judgment—the individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through quality work and attention to detail. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual is willing to seek assistance where needed. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The individual participates in 5S + Safety daily and keeps a clean and organized work area.
- Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility.
- Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly and provides assistance as needed to the Safety Committee.
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and strive for 100% quality 100% of the time as well as be able to handle job pressure of schedules and customer changes as well as occasional interruptions. There may be times were extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements or support multiple shifts.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met. This position requires a certain level of independence and self assurance as well as critical thinking for decision making.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The trainer must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer. Clear communication with supervisors in regards to production understanding of the process is vital to the program success.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
The employee is representing KMM through their contact with customers, vendors and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace