Shipping – Inspection Operator
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The purpose of this position is to ensure that the customer requirements are met when shipping any item from KMM. Safety of product is paramount and all procedures must be adhered to including but not limited to method of shipment, packaging and delivery to carrier. The Shipping Operator’s goal is to improve profits & cash flow, and they will have the responsibility to strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow while meeting program schedules and improving processes, and monitor and insure that a quality product is produced through teamwork.
The Shipping Operator will conduct themselves in a professional manner and at all times be responsive and respectful.
The Shipping Operator performs all tasks involved in shipping of materials including but not limited to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintain and improve work instructions per the customer and standard requirement.
2. Prepares documentation, maintains records, and coordinates logistics for product shipment.
3. Accurate Data Entry using the proper tracking software and KMM manufacturing system.
4. Place items correctly into the required shipping containers, verifying that the labeling and pack slip requirements are per individual product and customer requirements. Maintain a clean and safe work area by performing the standard 6S procedure.
5. Follow any special instruction listed per contract instructions.
6. Communicate any problems or issues to the Program Manager, Manufacturing Supervisor, Team Lead, Accounting or Human Resource Department as needed.
7. Monitor packaging supplies and replace or order as needed to prevent delays in production shipments.
8. Work with and effectively communicate with Floor Lead, Operators, Trainer, Process Engineers, Program Manager, and Quality Manager.
9. Review and become knowledgeable with applicable program and specification documents listed as required by program, internal work instruction, customer, standard and applicable job instruction.
10. Conduct and document inspections, including but not limited to:
a. In-process inspections.
b. Routing/Bundle Buyoff.
c. Final inspections.
d. First Article Inspections.
11. Assist in research, investigation, and interpretation of customer specifications, drawings, and documents.
12. Record and enter inspection data into the appropriate database for all inspection points.
13. Encourage continuous improvement by submitting Point Improvements.
14. Continuously aware of customer specification changes/updates.
15. First Article:
e. Ensure that all First Article requirements are being met as defined by KMM and its customer. This includes creating and completing a FAI packet.
16. Understand and support the application of KMMs Quality Management System requirements for the following major processes:
f. Drawing Change Evaluations
g. Customer Related processes
h. KMM approved engineering manufacturing planning
i. Internal Auditing
j. Corrective Preventive Action
k. Nonconforming product
17. Provide support in reviewing new and/or changes in customer specifications, drawings, and documents.
18. Train/instruct and mentor Inspectors.
19. Support the maintenance of training instructions for applicable program Quality Assurance Inspectors.
20. As defined by program, verify and approve Visual Aids.
21. Review and approve Certificate of Compliance for product being deliver to the customer,
22. Verify and approve C-Size/B-Size drawings and Tie Tables.
23. Manage inspection data within the Quality Databases.
24. Must meet all attendance requirements and use PTO/Sick Time responsibly.
25. Requires a certain level of independence and self assurance as oftentimes decisions are required without the opportunity for conclusion with immediate supervisors.
26. Support as necessary KMM SRB and MRB activities
27. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as required by job task.
28. Adhere to all KMM safety policies and practices as well as manufacturer recommendations on operation of all equipment and tools
29. This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks.
30. Performs other related duties and assignments as required
EDUCATION / KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
1. The ideal candidate will have at least twelve (12) work experience in shipping or supporting shipping operations.
2. Employee must also have a strong background in computer processes and Microsoft Dynamics.
3. This position requires good communication skills.
4. The Shipping Operator must have excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle a stressful environment and prioritize tasks based on customer (internal and external) expectations.
5. Basic math skills are required – Basic math skills is defined as the ability to perform simple multiplication, division, addition, subtraction and measurements depending on the process step requirement.
6. Reading comprehension – the ability to understand what has been read and follow the instructions is a critical function.
7. Due to production and shipping schedules this position will require that the operator demonstrate reliability to meet attendance, quality and productivity standards
8. This position will require the ability to know, understand and apply all applicable customer specifications and standards as they apply to their program.
9. Personnel must have knowledge of computers (e.g. – Excel and Word programs) and to consistently demonstrate accuracy in data entry.
10. This position requires a clear understanding of Killdeer Mountain Manufacturing’s Quality Management System and procedures.
11. This position also requires the employee to demonstrate excellent communication skills with customers, suppliers, and fellow employees.
12. The employee must demonstrate a team and positive work attitude.
13. The employee shall demonstrate the ability to be detail oriented, have a strong attention to detail, and have the ability to handle stressful situations, employee will need training in IPC 610, 620 and J standard.
14. Additionally, this position requires the employee is able to communicate (verbally and written) fluently in the English language.
These requirements may be temporarily adjusted or modified at the time of the opening and will be based on current labor availability and staffing needs. In these instances it is expected the employee will be able to meet all requirements within 180 days of accepting the position.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED
1. This position requires the daily use of a computer and computer related software. The employee must be able to accurately and proficiently enter and retrieve data as needed for the job tasks.
2. Standard office equipment such as copiers, weight scales, calculators etc will be used.
3. Basic knowledge of and utilization of test equipment is essential.
4. Magnification aides.
1. The employee must be able to enter and retrieve data with accuracy and proficiency into the computer.
2. Employee must be able to lift 50 lbs.
3. Employee must be able to lift shipping boxes with product, and load paper into copiers and fax machines.
4. Employee must be able to sit in front of a computer for long periods of time entering data.
5. Employee must be able to read small print and have the ability to be able to distinguish colors.
6. This position requires flexibility of movement to build boxes, bending and twisting to load and seal boxes as well as reaching, grasping and arm movements to seal and transport boxes to designated areas.
7. This requires the ability to see .37M on the Graham-Field vision chart to be able to read processes, identify wire labels and small components.
8. This position may require the use of magnifiers depending on the process inspection requirements.
9. This position requires the ability to identify color for some inspection processes
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
1. Analytical: the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information and can interpret the information as needed accurately to internal and external teammates. The individual can analyze work performed and verify accuracy and completion of tasks. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
2. Problem Solving: the individual identify and assist in the resolution of problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully by using knowledge gained through work experience. The individual provides process improvement ideas and solutions to problems and is proactive in addressing potential issues. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of providing and seeking assistance when needed. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
3. Oral And Written Communication: the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language. The individual must be able to effectively communicate through various forms of communication both written and verbal and internal and external.
4. Time Management Skills: the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
5. Quality management: the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary. The individual demonstrates an understanding of the importance of the quality of work necessary to meet the customer expectations and the importance of their function in that process.
6. Judgment: The individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through quality work and attention to detail. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The Shipping Operator must have the ability to listen and engage others to understand and ensure that decisions affecting them have their input and ideas evaluated. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
7. Planning/Organizing: the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The individual participates in 5S + Safety daily and keeps a clean and organized work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
8. Lean / Process Improvements: the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility. This competency will be demonstrated through cycle time reductions (productivity increase) and decreases in daily defects (improved FPY)
9. Safety and Security: the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly and provides assistance as needed to the Safety Committee.
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and strive for 100% quality as well as be able to handle the job pressure of schedules and customer changes as well as occasional interruptions. There may be times where extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met. Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The Shipping Operator must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer. Clear communication with supervisors in regards to production understanding of the process is paramount to the program success and employee success. As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
The employee is representing KMM through their contact with customers, vendors, community members and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This position requires a certain level of independence and self assurance as well as critical thinking for decision making.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace