The purpose of this position is to build production cable wire and harness assemblies to the customer specifications and requirements. The production operator will have the responsibility to provide a quality product within the set time standards for the product or any step of the product production as needed. The goal of all operators is to strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow, assist in process improvements, provide input to training needs through evaluation and understanding of defect and process improvement data and to monitor work to insure that a quality product is produced 100% of the time through teamwork. For teamwork, quality production and production schedules to be met it is primary that all employees meet the attendance, productivity and quality work requirements as well as adhere to all of KMM policies and procedures.
Perform all tasks involved in the production of KMM’s cable and harness products. This includes but is not limited to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Each step is dependent upon what part of the process an operator is working on and may vary slightly from program to program.
- Read and follow production processes and instructions.
- Lifts production kits, wire bundles and/or wire and moves to appropriate destination as designated by the process steps.
- Cuts, strips, crimp, or otherwise assemble the materials using required tooling.
- Required tooling may be hand tools, pneumatic hand or foot operated tooling or other automated devices.
- Distinguishes colors – Certain processes may require the ability to distinguish color codes for proper identification of wire and other materials needed in the production process. Any employee that is unable to distinguish colors must notify their supervisor so an assessment and accommodation. if necessary, can be made.
- Requires ability to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart to be able to identify various labels, wire marking, part identifications etc., in the production process.
- Depending on the facility and product requirements, the process step may require the placement of finished goods into correct packages and boxes, in preparation for shipment.
- Ability to read and understand product requirements and customer specifications; Evaluate any mechanical or material issues that need correction and bring to the attention of the operator’s team lead, supervisor, quality department and/or engineering for correction review or further investigation.
- Read and understand information relating to usage, personal protective devices, safe labeling, proper handling and proper disposal of any chemical used in the production process being performed.
- Maintains a clean and safe work area and practices the 5S + Safety requirements and follows all safety requirements. Learns and retains information relating to chemical usage, handling and disposal.
- Participates and demonstrates understanding of Lean Manufacturing and the importance of process improvements.
- Requires the ability to work overtime and flexible schedules as needed, to meet the customer delivery schedule.
- Attends required trainings and meets the competency requirements as defined by KMM and the customer.
- Must consistently meet quality and productivity requirements.
- Performing quality work in the allotted time is a primary function of this position.
- Requires the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
- All Production workers are expected to be available to work in all steps and processes of the production process.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- KMM skill assessments (reading comprehension and dexterity) will be required for this position; minimum standards (scores) will be established at the time of the opening and will be based on current labor availability and staffing needs.
- Employees are expected to pass all external and internal required training within a reasonable amount of time and be able to perform the job functions with efficiency and good quality work. Employees are expected to take advantage of ongoing trainings that are provided.
- Requires a high degree of manual dexterity in order to handle small objects.
- Basic math skills are required – Basic math skills are defined as the ability to perform simple multiplication, division, addition, subtraction and measurements, depending on the process step requirement.
- Reading comprehension – the ability to understand what has been read and follow the instructions is a critical function. Following processes and instructions ensures consistency in the production process.
- Due to production schedules, this position will require that the operator demonstrate reliability to meet attendance, product quality and productivity standards.
- Requires the ability to communicate fluently (verbally and written) in the English language.
- Must be able to work in a team oriented environment.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED
- The position requires the use of a variety of small hand tools for cutting, crimping, connector insertion and extraction tools, heat guns and infrared heat gun, pneumatic hand operated crimp tool, various wrenches, torque and ratchet screwdrivers, x-acto knives, scissors, hot tweezers, and various other small hand tooling necessary for the production of KMM’s cable assembly products.
- Handling and use of some chemicals may be required as needed, to perform specific production functions that are required.
- The position is in the production area and involves extended periods of sitting and/or standing throughout the day, depending on what processes are being performed.
- Requires minimal lifting of up to 30lbs while transferring production kits to the necessary locations, as designated by the process and/or procedure.
- Employee must be able to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart with or without the assistance of reading devices, in order to be able to identify wire, read labels and verify contact crimps as well as any other reading and verifying function in the process.
- Requires a high degree of manual dexterity in order to handle small objects and perform detailed tasks.
- Requires the ability to use various hand tools including crimp and cutting tools.
- Reaching, some bending or stooping is required, depending on the process step.