JOB TITLE: Material Handler Team Lead POSITION CODE: SHRLED
LOCATION: Dickinson EEO CLASS: Operatives
SCOPE: BC/P8 FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt – Hourly
The purpose of this position is to Lead the production cable wire and harness manufacturing process by providing rotobin materials, consumable supplies, and assisting with small assembly preparation processes, to prevent cable and harness assemblers from having to move around during their shift, allowing them to focus on producing. The Material Handler Lead will have the responsibility of providing direct supervision to Material Handlers and with providing a quality product within the set time standards for the product or any step of the production process, as needed. The goal of the Material Handler Lead is to strive to eliminate waste, provide stable workflow, assist in process improvements, provide input to training needs through evaluation and understanding of defect and process improvement data, and to monitor work to ensure that a quality product is produced 100% of the time through teamwork. In order to fulfill established requirements in quality production, meeting production schedules and teamwork expectations, it is essential that all employees adhere to the attendance, productivity and quality work requirements as well as all of KMM policies and procedures. In addition, the Team Lead will perform all tasks involved in the production of KMM’s cable and harness products. This includes but is not limited to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Managing, guiding, training and mentoring all members of the team.
- Communication with your direct line supervisor on a daily and weekly basis to keep yourself in check.
- Daily team member communication. Either one on one or with a short team meeting.
- Review personnel time clock corrections.
- Update team member’s requests for PTO, sick/emergency leave; Coordinate with supervisors and HR.
- Complete employee reviews (three-month, transfer or annual).
- Complete Weekly Competency Reports for new hires/transfers during their first three months.
- Approve time weekly. After thoroughly checking the team member’s time clocks, “mass” approve for HR.
- Track all products produced and distributed by the team. This data better helps us understand the flow.
- Guide team members to follow the workflow and stay on schedule.
- Ensure team members are adhering to company policies and initiate performance management documentation when necessary.
- Implement PIP (Personal Improvement Plans) to improve team member performance, when needed.
- Listen to team member’s concerns; be receptive and understanding to assist in resolving issues.
- Team Leads need to know all that the team does on a daily basis and relay that information during meetings.
- Handle disputes between team members or other employees by moving to a private setting (preferably with a third party present – like HR). Discuss the issue and hear both sides to the dispute before recommending and implementing solutions.
- Be prepared to present data at the Team Lead Report-Out Meeting every Monday at 1:00. All data from the previous week must be prepared accurately and visually for discussion. A power-point slide show is the current format for Material Handlers. Other team leads have excel workbooks with data pulled from Dynamics. Material Handlers do not have much data in Dynamics, so as Team Lead you must introduce all the data manually.
- Communicate with all Team Leads to find problems and solutions.
- Continually look for ways to improve current standards. Use the LEAN process to improve efficiency and productivity.
- Document all changes and improvements and discuss these with the LEAN focal. Take before and after pictures.
- Track and maintain team member’s certifications and ensure completion of training in accordance with the training department guidelines. Inquire with the TQ-6 database to track which certifications are due.
- Help the team by doing some of the work when you have time. Primarily, keep the team busy on the floor with roll ups and roll outs by building dual grounds, contacts and coil spacers for the team. The Team Lead should assist with any work possible, to increase the team’s overall effectiveness.
- Become highly proficient with the four main areas of builds that we do. Your goal is to achieve SI&A (Self Inspect & Accept), and QID (Quality Inspector Delegate) stamps. This enables you to fully build and issue products in a timely manner and to inspect products that your team members produce. Inspecting their work frees up the Quality team to “buy off” routing tables to promote speed and efficiency within the flow of work.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and an upbeat positive attitude.
- The Material Handler Team Lead position is a high-energy fast-paced moving machine. Many inputs and outputs are required of you and your team. Handle all issues to the best of your abilities and find solutions with the help of your team members, peers, mentors and supervisors.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Employees must be able to pass all external and internal required training within a reasonable amount of time and be able to perform the job functions with efficiency and quality work. Employees are required to take advantage of ongoing trainings that are available.
- Requires a high degree of manual dexterity in order to handle small objects.
- Basic math skills defined as the ability to perform simple multiplication, division, addition, subtraction and measurements depending on the process step requirement are required.
- Reading comprehension – the ability to read, understand and follow written processes and instructions
- Due to production schedules this position will require that the team lead demonstrate reliability to meet attendance, product quality and productivity standards.
- Must be able to work in a team-oriented environment.
- The ability to role model KMM core values, integrity, and accountability while representing KMM.
- The ability to independently organize and complete assigned job duties with minimal supervision.
- Ability to provide effective leadership and mentoring to Material Handlers.
- Requires the ability to communicate (verbally and written) fluently in the English language.
- Microsoft Office proficiency, organizational ability, mental fortitude and honesty is required.
- These requirements may modified based on current labor availability and staffing needs. In these instances, the expectation is that the employee be able to meet all requirements within 180 days of accepting the position.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED
- This position requires the daily use of a computer and related software. The employee must be able to accurately and proficiently enter and retrieve data as needed for the job tasks.
- Standard office equipment such as copiers, calculators etc. will be used.
- The position may require the use of a variety of small hand tools including but not limited to those listed below:
- cutting; crimping; connector insertion; extraction tools
- heat guns and infrared heat gun
- pneumatic hand operated crimp tool; various wrenches; torque and ratchet screwdrivers
- x-acto knives; scissors; hot tweezers
- other small hand tooling necessary for the production of KMM’s cable assembly products
- some chemicals as needed to perform required functions
- Must have the ability to move freely throughout the factory to perform the necessary functions.
- The position is in the production area and involves extended periods of sitting, moving throughout the facility and/or standing throughout the day depending on work processes being performed.
- Requires minimal lifting of up to 30lbs for transporting material to required destinations.
- Employee must be able to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart to be able to read various labels and tags in the process as well as measurements where needed.
- Requires a high degree of manual dexterity in order to handle small objects.
- Requires the ability to use hand crimp and cutting tools.
- Reaching, some bending or stooping is required depending on the process step.
- Distinguishes colors – Certain processes may require the ability to distinguish color codes for proper identification of wire and other materials needed in the production process.