The Bidding Engineer Technician (BET) is responsible for working with the Proposal Coordinator in processing all requests for quotes (RFQ) to completion. The BET must become familiar with the needs and capabilities of the various KMM programs and follow guidance from Program Managers and Engineers to develop the best methods of estimating labor and non-recurring charges for each program. This position works closely with all members of the bidding group in developing high quality proposals for existing and potential customers, based on different customer specifications. The BET ensures quotes are submitted within budget and before deadlines, making sure to represent the company in a fair and ethical manner. This position requires a professional demeanor and will report directly to the Proposal Coordinator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Complete open Request for Quotes (RFQ) quickly and meet short deadlines.
- Review Request for Quote (RFQ) documents package, which may include Statement of Work (SOW); Parts List; Dimensional Drawing; Specifications; Quality Notes and other requirements.
- Prepare the Bill of Materials (BOM) and estimate the amount of labor hours required to complete a given SOW.
- Set pricing for non-recurring charges such as testing, tooling, creation of build process and First Article Reports.
- Prepare complete and accurate BOMs with identified sourcing and alternate parts for materials that are not commercial off the shelf (COTS).
- Must be able to work under pressure and be willing to travel to various locations periodically to work the bidding group members and attend meetings.
- Must become familiar with the needs and capabilities of various programs.
- Identify processes required in the RFQ and determine whether KMM facilities have the capability to perform those processes.
- Communicate regularly by phone and e-mail with the bidding group members.
- Communicate questions regarding engineering package by e-mail to the Proposal Coordinator.
- Work with Contracts and Negotiations Agents and respond quickly to questions regarding materials.
- Work with Program Engineers and Program Managers upon bid award to ensure we produce successfully in relation to the bid.
- Occasional travel to other work locations to work with other team members and attend meetings.
- Flexibility to work extra hours during high bidding activity is required.
- Ability to work well within virtual teams to deliver winning bids.
- Comply with company standards, procedures and protocols.
- Establish and maintain excellent working relationships with internal departments and customers.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Associate’s Degree in an engineering-related discipline preferred, but not required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline preferred, but not required.
- One-year experience as a bid engineer technician is preferred, but not required, if the candidate can demonstrate the knowledge and ability to perform the functions of the BET job.
- Technical Aptitude is required.
- Ability to read and interpret both wire and circuit card drawings within 3 months of hire.
- Familiarity with high volume manufacturing and LEAN Concepts is preferred.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Dynamics, Microsoft Office, or similar software solutions is preferred.
- Good communication and organizational skills. Additionally, this position requires the employee to be able to communicate (verbally and written) fluently in the English language.
- Must be able to effectively identify and use available internal and external resources to increase knowledge and expertise.
- Must be deadline conscience and work well under pressure.
- Time Management Skills are essential to be successful in this position.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED
- This position requires the daily use of a computer and computer related software. The employee must be able to accurately and proficiently enter and retrieve data as needed for the job tasks.
- Standard office equipment such as copiers, calculators etc., will be used.
- Must be able to operate a vehicle.
- Frequent travel to various KMM facilities may be necessary to perform the functions of the job. This position requires a current driver’s license.
- This position requires the mobility to move throughout the facilities, stamina and ability to deal with stressful situations, travel and to work flexible hours.
This position requires the ability to sit for prolonged time periods while using a computer and computer related software, as well as frequent use of a phone and other standard office equipment.