The purpose of this position is to provide guidance and support to the team in the area of BCA and P-8 Technical Engineering for the Dickinson site, responsibility and to provide a work environment where coworkers have the tools, training and leadership to build a quality product. The Technical Engineering Lead’s goal is to improve profits & cash flow. They will have the responsibility to communicate concise and clear data to assist and strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow while meeting program schedules and improving processes, to assist the team in process improvements and providing input to training needs through defect and process improvement data and to monitor and insure that a quality product is produced through teamwork. To do this, the lead is responsible for the overall performance of all program production delegated to their oversight.
This position is the Lead for their designated areas and will represent KMM as such with the customer. The Lead will conduct themselves in a professional manner and at all times be responsive and respectful.
For teamwork, quality production and production schedules to be met it is primary that all employees meet the attendance, productivity and quality work requirements as well as adhere to all of KMM policies and procedures.
This includes but is not limited to: Process Improvements, Quality of Product, Manpower Scheduling, NCR’s, Personnel Skill Assessments, Training, & Meetings. This position requires a minimum of weekly reporting on the current reporting format to the designated leadership. This includes but is not limited to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Perform work as assigned by the Program Manager
- Ensure engineering is on time with production schedule.
- Create Shop Aids (SA), Routing Sheets (RS) and Change Orders
- Quality Metrics
- Measure the quality of the department.
- Report that data to the team and manager of the department.
- Continuous improvement to meet the goals of quality as a department and program as a whole.
- Measuring effectiveness of continuous improvement
- Time savings
- Cost savings
- Review Shop Aids, Bill of Material (BOM), Change Orders
- Write / review Query Notes and Squawks, Product Analysis Reports (PAR), Drawing Change Incorporation Record (DCIR), Drawing Change Evaluation (DCE)
- Find Spec’s on how to build assemblies
- Review/Approve process instructions
- Problem Solving
- Promote problem solving within the department.
- Train how to use problem solving tools.
- Lead subordinates to conduct problem solving meetings.
- Continuous Improvement / Lean
- Conduct and assist
- Have ability to evaluate and mechanical or material issues
- Ensure NCR focal(s) have the tools they need.
- Ensure NCR focal(s) have the necessary training they need to do their job.
- Ensure parts that are to be NCR’d are being done on time to avoid delays in the process.
- Training: Write or help write training instructions, conduct or help conduct training
- Ensure trainings are recorded and kept up to date.
- Aid in researching tooling such as crimpers, connector adapters, chemicals (Loctite, Flux, solder), insertion and extraction tools and consumables
- Approve tooling to the process specifications.
- Customer relations with suppliers and customers, which includes communicating technical data, setting up and attending conference calls
- Assist with special projects and new product/process implementation
- Assign projects to team
- Ensure project is on track and completed
- Assign projects to team
- Communicate with production flow to ensure they are following processes and if they have questions on how to perform process, assist them in learning
- Additional tasks as needed
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as required by job task.
- Adhere to all KMM safety policies and practices as well as manufacturer recommendations on operation of all equipment and tools
- Conduct employee evaluations
- Using Performance Review Forms.
- Use department quality metrics to define a quality rating.
- Use program quality metrics to define an overall program quality rating.
- Subjective scorecards
- Create and sustain a continuous improvement working environment that lines up with cooperate mission, vision, values and strategies.
- Ensure KMM policies are being followed by subordinates and enforce consequences when needed.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- A 2 year degree is highly desirable or 2 years’ experience as a Technical Engineer.
- A minimum of 24 months of professional experience in Technical Engineering is required.
- Individual must display leadership through personal actions, positive mental attitude and a good solid work ethic that promotes teamwork and enthusiasm.
- Inspire others to perform well.
- Ability to listen and understand problem/issues clearly to recognize coworker problems, issues, frustrations with processes to assist in resolving them.
- Displays a servant type leadership attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding.
- Show good judgement by adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Willingness to seek assistance where needed.
- Ability to understand/interpret Boeing Product Specifications (BAC, D809, D6 specs)
- Ability to read written instructions, drawings, specification and ensure that other written and visual standards are being followed.
- Display a proactive approach to prevent issues from reoccurring.
- Lead / Train others to be proactive
- Time management skills and prioritization of work:
- Tasks, Events, Functions and Projects
- Wire harness/cable assembly experience is required
- KMM skill assessments may be required for this position; minimum standards (scores) will be established at the time of the opening and will be based on current labor availability and staffing needs.
- Good communication and organizational skills. Additionally, this position requires the employee is able to communicate (verbally and written) fluently in the English language.
- The ability to role model KMM core values, integrity, and accountability while representing KMM.
- The ability to perform critical evaluation of information in a fair and unbiased manner to make business decisions and recommendations.
- The ability to understand and apply information from other departments within KMM in order to contribute to the overall well-being of KMM
- The ability to independently organize and complete assigned job duties with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to handle a stressful working environment.
- Requirements may be modified at the time of the opening, and will be based on current labor availability and staffing needs. In these instances, the employee must be able to meet all requirements within 180 days of accepting the position.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED
- Employee must also have a strong background in computer processes and Microsoft Dynamics, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access.
- The employee must be able to accurately and proficiently enter and retrieve data as needed for the job tasks.
- Experience with specialized Fiber Optic equipment and tooling
- Crimp Tools: hand, hydraulic, pneumatic
- Testing: Ohm meter and volt meter
- Standard office equipment such as copiers, calculators etc., will be used.
- Combined sitting, standing and walking throughout the day to accomplish tasks
- Occasionally required to push/pull and reach above shoulder level
- Occasional lifting up to 5-20 pounds
- Extensive use of a computer and programs to perform the daily functions
- Hearing and speaking required regularly