Summary of Responsibilities:
The purpose of this position is to provide guidance and support to the CCA production operations and engineering staff in the area of the Engineering Leads responsibility and to provide a work environment where coworkers have the tools, training and leadership to build a quality product. The Engineering Leads goal is to improve profits & cash flow. They will have the responsibility to communicate concise and clear data to assist and strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow while meeting program schedules and improving processes, to assist the team in process improvements and providing input to training needs through defect and process improvement data and to monitor and insure that a quality product is produced through teamwork. To do this, the Engineering Lead is responsible for the overall performance of all program production delegated to their oversight.
This position is considered a lead position for their designated areas and will represent KMM as such with the customer. The Engineering Lead will conduct themselves in a professional manner and at all times be responsive and respectful.
The production & process engineering responsibilities are to ensure the needs of the production processes and customer quality and delivery are met through engagement with Manufacturing Supervisors, Team Leads, Quality personnel and production operators. To perform this responsibility it will require reviewing customer’s documentation and interpreting them into KMM work instructions and work aids. Included but not limited to Build to Packages (BTP’s), build processes, unique processes, Bill of Material (BOM’s), routers and production jigs and layouts. Determine the correct tooling and consumables for building circuit card assemblies. Direct communication with customers and / or internal as well as external clients, everyday problem solving, direct operator support in building assemblies, provide leadership in continuous improvement activities to create flow in production, provide engineering assistance to the bidding process and provide engineering assistance to other programs within KMM if needed. This position will be working with, directing and supervision of engineering staff to ensure the successful accomplishment of the various tasks and duties needed to support production operations.
If designated, other responsibilities may include supervising and directing subordinates, complete employee evaluations and make recommendations on hiring, terminations, wage changes, advancement opportunities and promotions to the Program Manager, uphold company policies, and support training as an SME or as Training Engineering support and continuous improvement.
For teamwork, quality production and production schedules to be met it is primary that all employees meet the attendance, productivity and quality work requirements as well as adhere to all of KMM policies and procedures.
This position is considered an exempt salary position
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Implement KMM company and operations policies and procedures and all directives of the CCA Program Manager
- Coordinate Engineering activities to provide satisfactory engineering services to the engineering’s internal customers (i.e. production operators, Team leads, manufacturing supervisors, quality personnel, and any other KMM personnel in accordance with directives of the CCA Program Manager
- Establish standardized engineering procedures in accordance with KMM CCA operations policies and procedures and CCA program manager’s directives.
- Provide Oversight, development, direction, coordination and collaboration information and practices, performance evaluation and review, and accountability and incentives to subordinate engineering co-workers to facilitate provision of engineering services in accordance with KMM company and operations policies and procedures in accordance with directives of the CCA Program Manager
- Ensure that all Engineering staff adhere to KMM policies and procedures and present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
- Production Engineering:
- Create and update as needed Work Instructions from Customer documentation.
- Create and update as needed build to packages (BTP).
- Create/Draw production drawings and aids using MS Visio / Computer Aided Drawing software and ensure that the data is updated and accurate to customer and quality requirements.
- Writing manufacturing procedures such as MI’s, WD’s, and TI’s as needed.
- Determine tooling and materials needed by production floor.
- Assist/lead Equipment Tooling calibration
- Input of Bill of Material (BOM) into Dynamics
- Drawing Change Evaluations (DCE) and implementation in to existing documents
- Revision control of all customer documentation to KMM documents
- Evaluate and distribute customer returns.
- Define responsibility
- Write rework instructions as needed.
- Create and release MO in Dynamics.
- Define and identify First Article requirements.
- Build FAI assemblies as needed to determine proper build sequence.
- Review FAI assemblies throughout the FAI process to ensure accuracy.
- Corrective Action and Root cause analysis.
- Develop any training/actions needed for implementation of corrective actions.
- Work with Quality in submittal to customer
- Review and understand Customer Spec’s on proper building procedures.
- Use of Customer Portal for Spec updates, drawing changes Etc
- General Problem Solving
- Training: Write or help write training, conduct or help conduct training.
- Customer Relations with Suppliers and Customers which includes communicating technical data, setting up and attending conference calls
- Participate in Lean Activities and assist production in implementation of point of improvement ideas.
- Bid labor for new programs.
- Writing of Action Logs as needed.
- Additional tasks as needed
- Create and update as needed Work Instructions from Customer documentation.
- This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks
*Performs other related duties and assignments as required
Education, prior work experience, and skills and knowledge:
- This position requires a Certification of Education in Engineering, or a minimum of 2 years work experience in Process or Electrical Engineering, or has demonstrated through work experience at KMM that they have the necessary skills to perform this function.
- Able to understand/interpret Customer Product Specifications with reasonable length of time for training
- Ability to read written instructions, drawings, specification and ensure that other written and visual standards are being followed
- Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, Dynamics, Visio, Acrobat, AutoCAD, etc. computer skills
Physical requirements, i.e. vision, lifting, standing, sitting, etc, and environment/working conditions:
- Mobility to move about production floor
- Use a computer to be able to write processes and work instructions as required for responsibilities
- Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds as needed to perform engineering tasks
- This job may require long periods of sitting and standing to assist production operations throughout the day
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly using different types of standard office communication media (i.e. written communication, verbal communication, telephone communication, email)
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information and can interpret the information as needed accurately to internal and external teammates. The individual can analyze work performed and verify accuracy and completion of tasks. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
- Problem Solving—the individual identify and assist in the resolution of problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully by using knowledge gained through work experience and education. The individual provides process improvement ideas and solutions to problems and is proactive in addressing potential issues. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of providing and seeking assistance when needed. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
- Oral and Written Communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings effectively. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language. The individual must be able to effectively communicate through various forms of communication both written and verbal and internal and external.
- Delegation—the individual delegates work assignments based on individual competencies and contract or project needs, gives authority to work independently however retains the accountability for the outcome of the delegated tasks, sets expectations, timelines and monitors delegated activities.
- Leadership—the individual inspires others to perform well and is willing to accept feedback from others. This individual must be able to show leadership through personal actions and a good solid work ethic that promotes teamwork and enthusiasm. The ability to listen and understand problems and issues clearly and to recognize subordinate or coworker problem, issues and frustrations with processes to assist in resolving these problems is critical to this function. The individual understands and practices a servant leadership attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding while providing guidance, assistance and direction.
- Time Management skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
- Management skills—the individual can effectively manage projects or programs through effective time management and ensure that critical issues are resolved in a timely manner. Effective organization skills and daily attention to the elimination of waste in personal, department, and production processes is required. The individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement, makes self available to staff and provides regular performance feedback, has a plan for the development of subordinates’ skills and encourages growth within their organization.
- Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary. The individual demonstrates an understanding of the importance of the quality of work necessary to meet the customer expectations and the importance of their function in that process. The individual meets the measurement for FPY where applicable and strives to make improvements where necessary. This competency will be demonstrated through increases in operator FPY. Evaluation of quality reports daily to assist production operations where necessary to eliminate quality defects.
- Judgment—the individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through quality work and attention to detail. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual is willing to seek assistance where needed. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications. This individual must have the ability to listen and engage others to understand and ensure that decisions affecting them have their input and ideas evaluated.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The individual participates in 5S + Safety daily and keeps a clean and organized work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
- Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility.
- Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly and provides assistance as needed to the Safety Committee.
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and be able to handle job pressure and interruptions. There may be times where extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The ____ must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees.
The employee is representing KMM as a leader and/or through their contact with customers, vendors and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This position requires a certain level of independence and self assurance as well as critical thinking for decision making.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This position is considered a leadership position and as such is a representative of KMM and is therefore expected to be performed in a professional manner at all times.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace.