The purpose of this position is to provide guidance and support to the production operations in the area of responsibility and to provide a work environment where coworkers have the tools, training and leadership to build a quality product with the goal to improve profits & cash flow. They will have the responsibility to communicate concise and clear data to assist and strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow through assistance with process improvements and lean activities. Assist the team in process improvements and providing input to training needs through defect and process improvement data and to monitor and insure that a quality product is produced through teamwork. Information needed to perform these tasks is KMM and customer confidential and requires an understanding of these expectations.
The production & process engineering responsibilities are to participate as a leadership team member to ensure the team needs are met in regard to: production processes and customer quality and delivery through engagement with Manufacturing Supervisors, Team Leads, Quality personnel and production operators. To perform this responsibility it will require reviewing customer’s documentation and interpreting them accurately into KMM work instructions and work aids. Included but not limited to BTP’s (Build to Packages), build processes, unique processes, BOM’s, routers, production jigs and layouts. Determine the correct tooling and consumables for building circuit card assemblies which may require communication with customer engineering and KMM procurement group. Direct communication with customers, vendors and coworkers to engage in everyday problem solving, assist and/or perform Andon training, provide direct operator support in building assemblies, provide leadership in continuous improvement activities to create flow in production, provide engineering assistance to the bidding process with accurate labor bids derived from current VSM and Cycle time data, and provide engineering assistance to other programs within KMM if needed. This position will be collaborating with their Leadership team members to provide team member accountability and ensure the successful accomplishment of the various tasks and duties needed to support production operations.
If designated, other responsibilities may include assisting the Manufacturing Supervisor in supervising and directing subordinates, completing employee evaluations, making recommendations on hiring, terminations, wage changes, advancement opportunities and promotions. The Production & Process Engineer will uphold company policies, and support training as a KMM Production Process Expert PPE or as Training Engineering support and continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Implement KMM company and operations policies and procedures and all directives of the CCA Program Manager
- Support the Coordination of standardized engineering activities with other Leadership team engineers to provide satisfactory engineering services to the engineering’s internal customers (i.e. production team members: operators, Team leads, manufacturing supervisors, quality personnel, and any other KMM personnel in accordance with directives of the CCA Program Manager
- Support the establishment of standardized engineering procedures in accordance with KMM CCA operations policies and procedures and CCA program manager’s directives.
- Provide Oversight, development, direction, coordination and collaboration and accountability and incentives to other Leadership Team Engineers to facilitate the sustaining of standardized engineering services in accordance with KMM company and operations policies and procedures in accordance with directives of the CCA Program Manager
- Production Engineering:
- Create and update as needed Work Instructions from Customer documentation.
- Create and update as needed build to packages (BTP).
- Create/Draw production drawings and aids using MS Visio / Computer Aided Drawing software and ensure that the data is updated and accurate to customer and quality requirements.
- Assist with creating test procedures as needed.
- Determine tooling and materials needed by production floor.
- Assist/lead Tooling calibration
- Input of Bill of Material (BOM) into Dynamics
- Input Router into Dynamics
- Drawing Change Evaluations (DCE) and implementation in to existing configuration management system
- Revision control of all customer documentation to KMM configuration management
- Evaluate and distribute customer returns.
- Define responsibility
- Create rework instructions as needed.
- Define and identify First Article requirements.
- Perform FMEA for FAI’s or products identified as needing FMEA
- Build FAI assemblies as needed to determine proper build sequence.
- Review FAI assemblies throughout the FAI process to ensure accuracy.
- Corrective Action and Root cause analysis.
- Develop any training/actions needed for implementation of corrective actions.
- Work with Quality in submittal to customer
- Review and understand Customer Spec’s on proper building procedures.
- Use of Customer Portal for Spec updates, drawing changes Etc
- General Problem Solving
- Training: Create or help create training, conduct or help conduct training.
- Facilitate, Assist, Participate and Document Andon trainings
- Customer Relations with Suppliers and Customers which includes communicating technical data, setting up and attending conference calls
- Participate in Lean Activities and assist production in implementation of point of improvement ideas.
- Participate in lean walks and continually evaluate current practices with the goal of eliminating waste in production operations.
- Create and ensure the timely incorporation of Action Logs as needed.
- Creating of WD’s and MI’s as needed
- Creating of general instructions including WD’s and MI’s.
- Additional tasks as assigned
- This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks
*Performs other related duties and assignments as required
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- This position requires a Certification of Education in Engineering, or a minimum of 2 years work experience in Process or Electrical Engineering, or has 10 years work experience in similar field that they have the necessary skills to perform this function.
- Able to understand/interpret Customer Product Specifications with reasonable length of time for training
- Ability to read written instructions, drawings, specification and ensure that other written and visual standards are being followed
- Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, Dynamics, Visio, Acrobat, AutoCAD, etc. computer skills
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED
- Computers, computer programs and equipment
- Standard manufacturing tooling and equipment used in the production operations
- Mobility to move about production floor
- Use a computer to be able to create processes and work instructions as required for responsibilities
- Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds as needed to perform engineering tasks
- This job may require long periods of sitting and standing to assist production operations throughout the day
Must have the ability to communicate clearly using different types of standard office communication media (i.e. written communication, verbal communication, telephone communication, email)