Job Title: CCA Production Operator
Program: Circuit Card Assembly (CCA)
Position Code: ASY, STU
EEO Class: Operatives
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt – Hourly
Summary of responsibilities:
The purpose of this position is to provide a quality product to KMM internal and external customers. The CCA Production Operator position requires attention to detail, following work instructions and processes while using their expertise to assist in process improvements. It is imperative that the operators are able to function as part of a team. They will have the responsibility to communicate concise and clear data to assist and strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow while meeting program schedules and improving processes, to assist the team in process improvements and providing input to training needs through suggestions, defect and process improvement data and to insure that a quality product is produced through teamwork.
It is the requirement to perform all tasks involved in the production of KMM’s circuit cards. This includes a high degree of manual dexterity for handling and assembling small components, and the ability to sit for long periods of time. Microscopes and magnification are used on a day-to-day basis. Follow standard work procedures and practice safe work habits to ensure a quality product is produced in a manner that is both efficient and safe.
For teamwork, quality production and production schedules to be met it is primary that all employees meet the attendance, productivity and quality work requirements as well as adhere to all of KMM policies and procedures.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
• Read, comprehend and follow work instructions and perform work as assigned by Team Lead or Manufacturing Supervisor.
o Steps in the production processes can change depending on what product is being produced, what revision the customer is requiring, changes due to process improvements, etc. The ability to read and follow instructions is critical to this position as well as the attention to detail and checking work for accuracy
• Lifts production kits and move to appropriate destination as designated by the process steps.
• Perform soldering operations, as assigned by Team Lead or Manufacturing Supervisor, and be willing to advance skill sets as outlined in the Training Plan.
• Read, comprehend, retain and apply information, relating to standards and specifications, through provided classroom and on the job training.
• The ability to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart to be able to identify various labels, part identifications etc, in the production process
• Distinguishes colors – Certain processes may require the ability to distinguish color codes for proper material or part identification as needed for the production process.
• Package and locate final product to finished goods or shipping.
• Have the ability to read and understand product requirements and customer specifications and be able to evaluate and communicate any mechanical, material, or scheduling issues with the Team Lead.
• Perform Cell in-process inspection as needed which will include rotations into Final Inspection for training.
• Initiate and participate in Point Improvements on the factory floor.
• Participate in Kaizen activities as they arise throughout the production process.
• Participate in root cause/preventative actions as a result of Lot Rejection activities.
• Record in-process production defects, awareness of Cell FPY data, and active participation in preventative actions.
• Work with Team Lead to ensure that the process, tooling, training and understanding of productivity standards exists in order to meet the daily 80% productivity standard.
• Maintain a clean and safe work area and practices the 5S + Safety requirements and follow all safety requirements.
• Have the ability to read and understand information relating to usage, personal protective devises, safe labeling, proper handling and proper disposal of any chemical used in the production process being performed
• The ability to work overtime and flexible schedule as needed to meet the customer delivery schedule
• This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks
*Performs other related duties and assignments as required
**All Production workers are expected to be available to work in all areas throughout the factory.
Education, prior work experience, and skills and knowledge:
• The position has a minimal education requirement of a high school degree or GED equivalent.
• Employee must be able to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart, and must have the ability to distinguish colors based on the Ishihara’s Design Charts as needed for various processes.
• This position will require certifications and/or training in various processes throughout the production process as needed to perform those functions including but not limited to JSTD.
• The position requires a high degree of manual dexterity in order to handle small objects.
• Basic math skills are required – Basic math skills is defined as the ability to perform simple multiplication, division, addition, subtraction and measurements depending on the process step requirement.
• Reading comprehension – the ability to understand what has been read and follow the instructions
• Due to production schedules this position will require that the operator demonstrate reliability to meet attendance, product quality and productivity standards
Physical requirements, i.e. vision, lifting, standing, sitting, etc, and environment/working conditions:
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be sitting for extended periods of time.
• Extended use of a microscope on a daily bases may be required depending on function being performed.
• Some reaching, bending and lifting of 10-30 lbs is required to move product as needed.
• Employee must be able to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart
• Must be able to work in a team oriented environment
• The position requires a high degree of manual dexterity in order to handle small objects.
• Use of hand tools for part prepping and soldering is required.
Equipment and machinery used:
The position requires the use of the vapor degreaser (cleaning machine), soldering and de-soldering iron, component prep machines, Microscope, X-Acto knives, cutters, torque and ratchet screwdrivers, heat guns and various other small tools materials necessary in the production of KMM’s circuit card assembly products. Safety equipment such as masks, gloves and protective eyewear may be required depending on the function being performed.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Problem solving—the individual identifies issues and/or problems that prevent or hinder the production of a quality product and notifies and assists Engineering and Team Leads in problem resolution. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of seeking assistance when needed.
• Oral communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations. The individual is able to communicate in a manner that is respectful at all times.
• Time Management skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area.
• Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary.
Judgment- The individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and is willing to seek assistance where needed.
• Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements.
• Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
Other (e.g., customer contact or access to confidential information):
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and strive for 100% quality 100% of the time as well as be able to handle job pressure of schedules and customer changes as well as occasional interruptions. There may be times were extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The Production Operator must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer. Clear communication with supervisors in regards to production understanding of the process is paramount to the program success.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
The employee is representing KMM through their contact with customers, vendors and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace
Revision Change Date Approved By
A Update standard verbiage and clarify job functions, physical requirements and equipment
B Add Inprocess Inspection requirement 8/29/2011 Jan Hillyard