Summary of responsibilities:
The purpose of the quality inspector position is ensuring that the customer requirements pertaining to quality of product are met prior to release to the customer. This position requires that the inspector have the ability to work closely with all departments. The Quality Inspector goal is to improve profits & cash flow. Communicate concise and clear data to assist in the identification and elimination of waste, help to provide a stable workflow, assist in process improvements and provide input to training needs through defect and process improvement data.
The Quality Inspector will conduct themselves in a professional manner and at all times be responsive and respectful.
Perform all tasks involved within Quality Inspection. This includes but is not limited to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
• Effectively and professionally communicate with Production Leads, Manufacturing Supervisors, Program Managers, and Procurement personnel, accounting, source inspectors (when applicable), Trainer, Engineering and all other personnel as applicable as it relates to the program, material and project.
• Knowledge and certifications as needed for J-STD, IPC-610 and IPC-620 as applicable for program and project.
• Conduct inspections of all materials and products to ensure specifications and quality standards are met.
Per AS9100 – Quality Management Systems, Aerospace Requirements
Per Customer and KMM requirements and instructions
Per Engineering Drawings and related procedures
• Ensure that all first article requirements are being met. This includes reviewing FAI forms and documentation.
Per AS9102 – Aerospace First Article Inspection Requirement
• Participate in Lot Rejection resolution
• Participate in training as needed
• Provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations
• This position requires developing an overall awareness and general knowledge and understanding of the Circuit Card manufacturing process.
• This position requires a certain level of independence and self assurance as well as critical thinking for decision making.
• Collect and enter data as required to support program initiatives and quality inspection needs.
• This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks.
*Performs other related duties and assignments as required
Education, prior work experience, and specialized skills and knowledge:
• The position has a minimal requirement of a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
• This position requires familiarity with KMM’s Quality Management System and procedures.
• The position requires the employee to have proficient computer skills as well as knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Dynamics, Microsoft Excel and Outlook.
• A working knowledge of required software that is used for specific tasks required.
• The position also requires the employee to demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills with customers (internal and external), suppliers, and fellow employees.
• The employee must demonstrate a team and positive work attitude.
• The employee shall demonstrate the ability to be detail oriented, have a strong attention to detail, and have the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
• Good attendance is required and must be willing to work overtime, and some weekends, as necessary.
Physical requirements, i.e. vision, lifting, standing, sitting, etc, and environment/working conditions:
• The ability to work using magnifying equipment. Good eyesight with or without corrective lenses.
• This function requires sitting for long period of time while inspecting product either with or without magnification.
• Reaching, bending or stretching as needed to move product from shelves to work surface.
• The ability to lift 10-50 pounds to move product as needed.
• Mobility to move throughout the production area.
Equipment and machinery used:
• Various measurement devices
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully and can present this information to the production team, Engineer, Team Lead and operators as needed to aid in solving production problems.
• Oral communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide and receive input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings.
• Leadership—the individual inspires and motivates others to perform well, accepts feedback from others. This individual must be able to show leadership through personal actions and a good solid work ethic that promotes teamwork and enthusiasm. The ability to listen and understand problems and issues clearly and to recognize coworker problem, issues and frustrations with processes to assist in resolving these problems is critical to this function. The individual understands and practices a servant leadership, “The Servant as Leader”, attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding while providing guidance and direction.
• Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary.
• Judgment—the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and is willing to seek assistance where needed. This position requires the ability to accept input as well as be able to fairly evaluate the input received. It is critical to this position that when data is presented that supersedes the judgment call made that the employee can accept the change graciously and have the understanding that it is not personal but fact and data. Learning from this information is the key. This individual must have the ability to listen and engage others to understand and ensure that decisions affecting them have their input and ideas evaluated
• Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans, appropriately taking into account Government Ratings and the Red Card system.
• Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility. This includes the ability to work with the rest of the production team to apply lean concepts to streamline the process from start (receiving) to finish (final inspection) of production and every step in between. Understanding that Lean does not just apply to production processes but to all areas from contract receipt to shipment of product.
• Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
Other (e.g., customer contact or access to confidential information):
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and be able to handle job pressure and interruptions. There may be times where extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The Quality Inspector must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees.
The employee is representing KMM as a leader and/or through their contact with customers, vendors and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times. This position requires a certain level of independence and self assurance as well as critical thinking for decision making.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
The Quality Inspector will assist in training, and product evaluation and instruction as needed.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.