BCA Lean Focal
Summary of Responsibilities
The purpose of this position is to promote and support lean activities, quality initiatives, and campaigns throughout the BCA organization. The BCA Lean Focal will support KMM activities associated with establishing and sustaining a continuous improvement culture specific to the BCA program. The BCA Lean Focal goal is to help all BCA departments improve profits & cash flow through Lean teaching, coaching, and facilitating.
She / he will have the responsibility to communicate concise and clear data to assist and strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow while meeting program schedules, – assist programs/teams-in process improvements, and provide input to training needs through defect and process improvement data. The BCA Lean Focal is responsible for oversight of all BCA program wide lean initiatives, including assistance to the facilities for process improvements.
The BCA Lean Focal will conduct themselves in a professional manner and at all times be responsive and respectful.
For BCA teamwork, quality, and delivery schedules to be met it, is primary that all BCA co-workers meet the attendance, productivity, and quality work requirements as well as adhere to all of KMM policies and procedures.
This includes but is not limited to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Work throughout the BCA program to develop a current/future state value stream map and a resulting lean road map of scheduled BCA lean improvements (production/administration)
• Reviewing and understanding the work flow and practices of the BCA program
• Represent and encourage a continuous improvement culture within the BCA program
• Actively lead BCA teams and provide individual contribution through problem solving efforts to reduce defects, cycle time and rework
• Identify and work to remove barriers that slow or prevent the successful attainment of process/productivity improvement and administrative efficiencies that will lead to cost reduction and competitive advantage
• Demonstrated ability to teach others throughout the BCA program how to 5S, problem solving, standard work, visual controls, Point of Use, Feeder Lines, Root Cause Analysis, Value Stream Mapping, and Breakthrough Process Redesign.
• Responsible for assisting and when necessary facilitating BCA Lean projects that eliminate re-work, provide cost savings, increase revenues and increase customer satisfaction
• Influence BCA co-workers (production/administration) to make the necessary changes for continued improved performance
• Works with the BCA team to assist in identification of improvement opportunities/issues using lean concepts and principles
• Train and mentor others in the BCA organization about Lean and foster use of Lean tools
• Maintain BCA documents and reports related to Lean and process improvement activities
• Enable co-workers throughout the BC program in adapting Lean and other performance improvement methodologies to drive results
• Provide expert advice to BCA process improvement teams regarding team dynamics, change management, process re-design strategies, performance improvement toolsets, and technical expertise, such as statistical process control, flow and data analysis.
• Investigate the various aspects that are inhibiting BCA output
• Formulate creative plans in order to enhance the productivity of BCA employees
• When needed, facilitate BCA meetings, kaizen events and workshops to solve business needs
• Design and delivery performance measurements
• Clearly define the business case for the BCA projects that have been proposed, and validate the opportunity, scope and importance of a project. Update and maintain the status of projects in a project database
• Evaluate data and trends to identify improvement opportunities and associated issues and risks
• Prepare and present regular BCA leadership updates summarizing project results
• Establish and maintain strong working relationships throughout the BCA program
• Build, mobilize, and lead across departmental project teams to meet the project objectives within the given time frame, and within budget, with a strong project management mindset
• Use Lean methodologies to understand current processes, identify impacts to current processes of proposed defect fixes or systems enhancements, and work with the various stakeholders to propose and develop process and/or technology modifications
• Gather, collect, organize, prioritize, conduct statistical analysis, and present data concerning business and/or project opportunities
• Establish key measures of success for projects and implement tracking plans
*All other tasks as required
Education, Prior Work Experience, Specialized Skills and Knowledge
• Prior experience coaching, teaching, and facilitating others
• Ability to work with a wide variety of people
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to build relationships, work in partnerships and engage teams is required
• Ability to act as a positive force to meet challenges head on and is able to withstand and work through change
• Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
• Project management abilities
• Solid technical skills using PowerPoint, Excel, Access, and Word
• Proven ability to lead change and motivate all levels within the organization and deliver business transformation results
• Ability to influence and lead in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
• Consistently demonstrate the ability to act independently, prioritize and influence others on a regular basis
• Ability to work hard, be self-motivated and have a can-do attitude
Equipment / Machinery and Work Environment
• Computer and computer software
• Various tools and equipment depending on the facility and work area of an event
• Flexible to travel to all KMM facilities as needed to perform the function of Lean Administrator
This position will require daily use of a computer and computer related software and may require long periods of sitting for record keeping, class development and preparation and process analysis
This position may require extended period observing and/or performing time studies as needed
This position will require the ability to move freely throughout the facilities to assist and coordinate various lean events.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information and can interpret the information as needed accurately to internal and external teammates. The individual can analyze data and diverse information for lean activities.
• Problem solving—the individual identify and assist in the resolution of problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully by using knowledge gained through work experience. The individual assists in providing process improvement ideas and solutions to problems and is proactive in addressing potential issues. The individual embraces the concept of team participation process improvement.
• Oral and written communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings effectively. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language. The individual must be able to effectively communicate through various forms of communication both written and verbal and internal and external.
• Delegation—the individual can engage the team and delegates assignments to assist in the learning and application of the lean principals, however retains the accountability for the outcome of the delegated tasks, sets expectations, timelines and monitors delegated activities.
• Leadership—the individual inspires others to perform well, accepts feedback from others. This individual must be able to show leadership through personal actions and a good solid work ethic that promotes teamwork and enthusiasm. The ability to listen and understand problems and issues clearly and to recognize subordinate or coworker problem, issues and frustrations with processes to assist in resolving these problems is critical to this function. The individual understands and practices a servant leadership attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding while providing guidance, assistance and direction.
• Time Management skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to ensure that projects are completed and sustained. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area.
• Management skills—the individual can effectively manage projects through effective time management and ensure that projects and critical issues are resolved in a timely manner. Effective organization skills and daily attention to the elimination of waste in personal, department, and production processes is required. The individual includes others in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement, makes self available to others and provides regular performance feedback on events.
• Quality management—the individual actively looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness. In the performance of lean events the individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary. The individual demonstrates an understanding of the importance of the quality of work necessary to meet the customer expectations and the importance of their function in that process.
• Judgment—the individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through results in area productivity and cash flow.. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual is willing to seek assistance where needed. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures.. This individual must have the ability to listen and engage others to understand and ensure that decisions affecting them have their input and ideas evaluated.
• Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The importance of continuous improvement and planning multiple activities throughout the company will require strategic and thorough planning.
• Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures in the performance of all lean events as well as in personal actions, and uses equipment and materials properly and provides assistance as needed to the Safety Committee.
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self-motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and strive for 100% quality as well as be able to handle the job pressure of schedules and customer changes as well as occasional interruptions. There may be times where extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The Lean Focal must assist co-workers (production/administration) to foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any BCA coworker or customer. Clear communication with all levels in regards to understanding of the process, goals, and financial impact is paramount to BCA and employee success.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
The employee is representing KMM as a leader and/or through their contact with customers, vendors, community members and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
This position will require travel for training, to customers, training venues and/or other KMM facilities as needed. This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace