Summary of Responsibilities:
The purpose of this position is to provide guidance and support to production in the area of the Engineering Technician responsibility and to provide a work environment where coworkers have the tools, training and leadership to build a quality product. The Engineering goal is to improve profits & cash flow, and they will have the responsibility to strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow while meeting program schedules and improving processes, and monitor and insure that a quality product is produced through teamwork. To do this, Engineering is responsible for the overall performance of all program production delegated to their oversight.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
• Preparing written instructions
• Assessing processes for their relevance, and assessing the adequacy of engineering data
• Reviewing existing data to see if more research and information need to be collected
• Conducting process development experiments
• Ensuring the process works at the optimum level, to the right rate and quality of output, in order to meet supply needs
• Ensuring that all aspects of an operation or process meet specified regulations
• Making observations and taking measurements directly, as well as collecting and interpreting data
• Compiling quality data to identify process indicators and performing root cause corrective action evaluations to alleviate recurring non-conformances
• Assessing the availability of raw materials
• Managing the time constraints of projects
• Working closely with co-workers, including: inspectors responsible for quality control and operators manufacturing product
• Aiding the Program Manager in bidding processes
• This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks
* Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
Education, prior work experience, and skills and knowledge:
• 2 years Technical education or equivalent work experience with a demonstrated work ability to perform the required tasks.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills are required for process writing, customer communication and communication within the company through the course of the required work.
• This position requires the ability to multi-task; work with frequent interruptions to assist the production requirements where necessary to ensure that product flow is not interrupted.
• Must have good interpersonal skills and the ability to work with all levels of learning and different personality types of employees as well as assist the trainers in identifying areas of improvement in working toward an environment of process improvements.
• This position requires the ability to learn and interpret customer specifications and write clear and understandable processes per those specifications. To effectively perform this function he or she must be willing to work directly with operators to gain the understanding of operation challenges as well as to explain various build process procedures in a clear and understandable manner.
• The Engineering Technician must be proficient in computer skills including Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, and Dynamics.
Physical requirements, i.e. vision, lifting, standing, sitting, etc, and environment/working conditions:
• This position requires the ability to move freely throughout the production floor to engage with operators and assist with any issues relating to the processes and production boards.
• Have the ability to bend, reach and lift to assist production operations as needed throughout the process.
• Have the ability to read .37M on the Graham Field Chart to be able to read labels and various part designators throughout the process while writing processes and assisting operators.
• Have the ability to read and interpret customer drawings, specifications and part lists.
• Have the ability to use a computer and computer related software.
• Sitting and standing for extended periods of time are required depending on the production needs on any given day.
Equipment and machinery used:
Computer, software and various hand tools and measurement devices required for building wire bundles.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information and can interpret the information as needed accurately to internal and external teammates. The individual can analyze work performed and verify accuracy and completion of tasks
• Problem solving— the individual identify and assist in the resolution of problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully by using knowledge gained through work experience. The individual provides process improvement ideas and solutions to problems and is proactive in addressing potential issues. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of providing and seeking assistance when needed.
• Oral and Written Communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings as needed. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language. The individual must be able to effectively communicate through various forms of communication both written and verbal and internal and external.
• Leadership—the individual inspires others to perform well and is willing to accept feedback from others. This individual must be able to show leadership through personal actions and a good solid work ethic that promotes teamwork and enthusiasm. The ability to listen and understand problems and issues clearly and to recognize subordinate or coworker problem, issues and frustrations with processes to assist in resolving these problems is critical to this function. The individual understands and practices a servant leadership attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding while providing guidance and direction.
• Time Management skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area.
• Management skills— the individual can effectively manage projects or programs through effective time management and ensure that critical issues are resolved in a timely manner. Effective organization skills and daily attention to the elimination of waste in personal, department, and production processes is required. The individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement, makes self available to staff and provides regular performance feedback, has a plan for the development of subordinates’ skills and encourages growth within their organization.
• Quality management— the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary. The individual demonstrates an understanding of the importance of the quality of work necessary to meet the customer expectations and the importance of their function in that process. The individual performs evaluation of quality reports to assist production operations where necessary to eliminate quality defects.
• Judgment— the individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through quality work and attention to detail. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and is willing to seek assistance where needed. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures. This individual must have the ability to listen and engage others to understand and ensure that decision affecting them have their input and ideals evaluated.
• Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The individual participates in 5S + Safety daily and keeps a clean and organized work area.
• Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility.
• Safety and Security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly and provides assistance as needed to the Safety Committee.
Other (e.g., customer contact or access to confidential information):
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to, KMM Engineering Philosophy and Mission and KMM Mission statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and strive for 100% quality as well as be able to handle job pressure of schedules and customer changes as well as occasional and interruptions. There may be times where extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The Engineering Technician must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer. Clear communication with supervisors in regards to production understanding of the process is paramount to the program success and employee success.
This position requires a certain level of independence and self assurance as well as critical thinking for decision making. This position is considered a leadership position and as such is a representative of KMM and is therefore expected to be performed in a professional manner at all times.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace.