Summary of Responsibilities:
The purpose of this position is to provide guidance and support to the SMT work group in the area of the SMT Supervisor responsibility and to provide a work environment where coworkers have the tools, training and leadership to build a quality product. The SMT Supervisor goal is to improve profits & cash flow, and they will have the responsibility to strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow while meeting program schedules and improving processes, and monitor and insure that a quality product is produced through teamwork. To do this, the SMT Supervisor is responsible for the overall performance of all program operations delegated to their oversight.
This person will need to perform all tasks necessary to ensure the successful operation of the SMT group. These tasks include, but not limited to, the incorporation of new assemblies, continued supervision of on-going jobs, communicating the needs of the internal customers (Planners, Cell Leads and Team Members) with the SMT group. The SMT Supervisor is in frequent contact with the internal customers to balance the needs of all. The SMT Supervisor will report to a Program Manager, operating with little to no supervision and be required to routinely exercise discretion and independent judgment.
The SMT Supervisor will conduct themselves in a professional manner and at all times be responsive and respectful.
This position will be responsible for the operation, schedules and manpower planning for the SMT machines, AOI equipment and X-Ray equipment operations as well as any equipment located within the area that is essential to the function of the area.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
• Direct the daily activities and production schedules of the SMT group.
• Maintain an SMT Status as a scheduling tool.
• Determine the sequence of work orders through the SMT Department.
• Verify all aspects of new assemblies are in place before production begins (i.e. Stencils, Pick & Place Programming, Components, Reflow Profile, AOI & X-Ray Programming and data systems).
• Review shortage reports and monitor receipt of shortage material.
• Communicate directly with the Planners and Cell Leads concerning production dates, shortages, product status, etc.
• Review AOI reports and subsequent reports on quality attributes. Make process improvements as needed.
• Perform calibration procedures and enter data into Access databases
• Submit recommendations and justifications for tooling and machines as needed through purchase orders or capital appropriations requests.
• Initiate and participate in Lean projects / training.
• Ensure that all Team Members are working in a safe manner and following all safety protocols and using any required protective equipment. Identify any potential safety risks and eliminate them. Ensure that all safety documents and training are up to date and accurate.
• Supervisory Duties (includes SMT Set-up, Programmers, Pick & Place Operators, AOI Operators, X-Ray Operators, etc.)
o Time corrections
o Approval of time off
o Assist in the scheduling of personnel
Make recommendations for hiring, and work with the HR Department as needed for any disciplinary action that may be required.
• This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks
*Performs other related duties and assignments as required
Education, prior work experience, and skills and knowledge:
• Minimal education requirement of a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
• Proficiency in computer skills
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics and Access would also be helpful.
• Accuracy with entering data is critical to this position.
• The ability to work with part numbers, dates and scheduling of production schedules with proficiency and accuracy is required.
• Accuracy with numbers, and proficient data entry skills.
• This position requires the ability to see the needs of the entire production process and adapt the SMT work schedule to those needs.
• The ability to be proactive and self motivated to ensure that the product meets the customer quality and schedule requirements is a necessary requirement of this position.
• The ability to handle frequent interruptions throughout the day and remain professional with coworkers and customers at all times.
• The ability to handle difficult situations when the tasks involved with customer changes in product and schedules create pressure situations and to handle these pressures in a professional manner.
• Some previous supervisory or leadership experience is desired.
Physical environment/working conditions:
This position may require extended periods of sitting or standing and the ability to operate the necessary equipment within the SMT area. This may require reaching, bending and standing throughout the day. Employee must have the ability to use a computer and handheld scanner to transfer data as needed to computer programs. This requires the ability to see written documents and a computer screen. Some lifting may be involved of approximately 30-50 pounds for the transfer of material totes as needed. The employee must be able to move freely throughout the SMT area to perform the operation of the equipment and organize the workflow through the area.
Equipment and machinery used:
The position requires the use of a computer, related software, telephone and calculator or adding machine, and other common office equipment in completing job tasks. The Supervisor will be expected to know how to operate the SMT equipment (i.e. Screen Printer, Pick & Place machines, Reflow Oven & AOI and X-Ray) at an entry level Operator skill level or higher.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information and can interpret the information as needed accurately to internal and external teammates. The individual can analyze work performed and verify accuracy and completion of tasks. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Problem Solving—the individual identify and assist in the resolution of problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully by using knowledge gained through work experience and education. The individual provides process improvement ideas and solutions to problems and is proactive in addressing potential issues. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of providing and seeking assistance when needed. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Oral and Written Communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language. The individual must be able to effectively communicate through various forms of communication both written and verbal and internal and external.
• Delegation—the individual delegates work assignments based on individual competencies and contract or project needs, gives authority to work independently however retains the accountability for the outcome of the delegated tasks, sets expectations, timelines and monitors delegated activities.
• Leadership—the individual inspires others to perform well and is willing to accept feedback from others. This individual must be able to show leadership through personal actions and a good solid work ethic that promotes teamwork and enthusiasm. The ability to listen and understand problems and issues clearly and to recognize subordinate or coworker problem, issues and frustrations with processes to assist in resolving these problems is critical to this function. The individual understands and practices a servant leadership attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding while providing guidance, assistance and direction.
• Time Management skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Management skills—the individual can effectively manage projects or programs through effective time management and ensure that critical issues are resolved in a timely manner. Effective organization skills and daily attention to the elimination of waste in personal, department, and production processes is required. The individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement, makes self available to staff and provides regular performance feedback, has a plan for the development of subordinates’ skills and encourages growth within their organization.
• Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary. The individual demonstrates an understanding of the importance of the quality of work necessary to meet the customer expectations and the importance of their function in that process. The individual meets the measurement for FPY where applicable and strives to make improvements where necessary. This position required evaluation of quality reports to ensure that the SMT area is eliminating rework in production where possible ..
• Judgment—the individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through quality work and attention to detail. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual is willing to seek assistance where needed. This individual must have the ability to listen and engage others to understand and ensure that decisions affecting them have their input and ideas evaluated. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications
• Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The individual participates in 5S + Safety daily and keeps a clean and organized work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility.
• Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly and provides assistance as needed to the Safety Committee.
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and strive for 100% quality as well as be able to handle the job pressure of schedules and customer changes as well as occasional interruptions. There may be times where extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The ____ must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer. Clear communication with supervisors in regards to production understanding of the process is paramount to the program success and employee success.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
The employee is representing KMM as a leader and/or through their contact with customers, vendors, community members and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace