Production – 2nd Shift
Summary of duties and responsibilities:
The purpose of this position is to build production cable wire and harness assemblies to the customer specifications and requirements. The production operator will have the responsibility to provide a quality product within the set time standards for the product or any step of the product production as needed. The goal of all operators is to strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow, assist in process improvements, provide input to training needs through evaluation and understanding of defect and process improvement data and to monitor work to insure that a quality product is produced 100% of the time through teamwork. For teamwork, quality production and production schedules to be met it is primary that all employees meet the attendance, productivity and quality work requirements as well as adhere to all of KMM policies and procedures.
Perform all tasks involved in the production of KMM’s cable and harness products. This includes but is not limited to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
Primary duties and responsibilities: Each step is dependent upon what part of the process an operator is working on and may vary slightly from program to program.
• Read and follow production processes and instructions;
o Steps in the production processes can change depending on what product is being produced, what revision the customer is requiring, changes due to process improvements, etc. The ability to read and follow instructions is critical to this position as well as the attention to detail and checking work for accuracy.
• Lifts production kits, wire bundles and/or wire and move to appropriate destination as designated by the process steps.
• Cuts, strips, crimps, or otherwise assemble the materials using required tooling
o Required tooling may be hand tools, pneumatic hand or foot operated tooling or other automated devises.
• Distinguishes colors – Certain processes may require the ability to distinguish color codes for proper identification of wire and other materials needed in the production process. Any employee that is unable to distinguish colors they must notify their supervisor so assessment and accommodation if necessary can be made.
• The ability to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart to be able to identify various labels, wire marking, part identifications etc, in the production process
• Depending on the facility and product requirements the process step may require the placement of finished goods into correct packages and boxes in preparation for shipment.
• Have the ability to read and understand product requirements and customer specifications and be able to evaluate any mechanical or material issues that need correction brought to the attention of the operators team lead, supervisor, quality department and/or engineering for correction or further investigation
• Have the ability to read and understand information relating to usage, personal protective devises, safe labeling, proper handling and proper disposal of any chemical used in the production process being performed.
• Maintains a clean and safe work area and practices the 5S + Safety requirements and follow all safety requirements. Learns and retains information relating to chemical usage, handling and disposal.
• Participates and demonstrates understanding of Lean Manufacturing and the importance of process improvements.
• The ability to work overtime and flexible schedule as needed to meet the customer delivery schedule.
• Attend required trainings and meet the competency requirements as defined by KMM and customer requirements.
• Must consistently meet quality and productivity requirements.
• This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks
*Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
**All Production workers are expected to be available to work in all steps and processes of the production process.
Education, prior work experience, and specialized skills and knowledge:
• The position has a minimal education requirement of a high school degree or GED equivalent.
• Employees are expected to be able to pass all external and internal required training within a reasonable amount of time and be able to perform the job functions within efficiency and good quality work. Employees are expected to take advantage of ongoing trainings that are provided.
• The position requires a high degree of manual dexterity in order to handle small objects.
• Basic math skills are required – Basic math skills is defined as the ability to perform simple multiplication, division, addition, subtraction and measurements depending on the process step requirement.
• Reading comprehension – the ability to understand what has been read and follow the instructions is a critical function. Following processes and instructions ensures consistency in the production process.
• Due to production schedules this position will require that the operator demonstrate reliability to meet attendance, product quality and productivity standards.
Physical requirements, i.e. vision, lifting, standing, sitting, etc, and environment/working conditions:
• The position is in the production area and involves extended periods of sitting and/or standing throughout the day depending on what processes are being performed.
• The position also requires minimal lifting of up to 30lbs while transferring production kits to the necessary locations as designated by the process and/or procedure.
• Employee must be able to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart with or without the assistance of reading devices to be able to identify wire, read labels and verify contact crimps as well as any other reading and verifying function in the process.
• Must be able to work in a team oriented environment.
• The position requires a high degree of manual dexterity in order to handle small objects and perform detailed tasks.
• Requires the ability to use various hand tools including crimp and cutting tools.
• Reaching, some bending or stooping is required depending on the process step.
• The ability to perform quality work in the allotted time is a primary function of this position.
Equipment and machinery used:
The position requires the use of a variety of small hand tools for cutting, crimping, connector insertion and extraction tools, heat guns and infrared heat gun, pneumatic hand operated crimp tool, various wrenches, torque and ratchet screwdrivers, x-acto knives, scissors, hot tweezers, and various other small hand tooling necessary for the production of KMM’s cable assembly products. Handling and use of some chemicals may be required as needed to perform required specific production functions.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Analytical—the individual can reasonably analyze if the finished product is in correlation with the process. The individual can analyze work performed and verify accuracy and completion of tasks.
• Problem solving—the individual can identify and assist in the resolution of problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully by using knowledge gained through work experience. The individual is provides process improvement ideas and solutions to problems and is proactive in addressing potential issues. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of seeking assistance when needed.
• Oral and written communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations. The individual is able to communicate in a manner that is respectful at all times.
● Time Management skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area.
• Quality —the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual meets the measurement for FPY where applicable and strives to make improvements where necessary.
• Judgment—the individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through quality work and attention to detail. The individual is willing to seek assistance where needed. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures.
• Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The individual participates in 5S + Safety daily and keeps a clean and organized work area.
• Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility.
• Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
Other (e.g., customer contact or access to confidential information):
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and strive for 100% quality as well as be able to handle the job pressure of schedules and customer changes as well as occasional interruptions. There may be times where extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The employee must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer. Clear communication with supervisors in regards to production understanding of the process is paramount to the program success.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
The employee is representing KMM through their contact with customers, vendors, community members and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional and respectful manner at all times.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace