Negotiations & Contracts Specialist
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The purpose of this job is to organize, negotiate, and manage supplier contracts for material and services provided to KMM in order to optimize service levels to internal and external customers and reduce and control supply chain costs.
It is the responsibility of this position to know and understand the purchasing requirements for the applicable programs within KMM including but not limited to: platforms, longevity, customer base, budget, internal and customer schedule, material and supplier quality requirements, receiving inspection requirements, and laws and regulations. This includes using and understanding the KMM MRP system for researching demand, entering material, purchasing, and supplier information, tracking orders, reviewing forecast, and monitor inventory. This position also requires that the individual be committed to process improvements, reduction of overall material costs (direct, inventory, shipping, labor, payment terms etc.) and improvement of Supply Chain metrics.
The Negotiations and Contracts Specialist will conduct themselves in a professional manner and at all times be responsive and respectful.
This includes but is not limited to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Weekly SRB (Supplier Review Board) meeting participation
2. Request SCARs (Supplier Corrective Action Request) as necessary
3. Supplier negotiations as necessary including but not limited to:
a. Commodity pricing
b. Minimum buys and shipment quantities
c. Terms and conditions of sale and purchase
d. Material stocking and/or pipelining
e. Contract longevity
f. Contract price adjustments
4. Customer portal access and use as necessary
5. Supplier contact via phone, email, etc. as required
6. Customer contact via phone, email, etc. as required
7. Special supplier, customer, and/or KMM material projects as designated
8. Program and platform quoting as received
9. Price variation documentation, tracking, and submittal as necessary
10. Yearly program/platform material budget creation and improvement in conjunction with Program Manager, Procurement Coordinator, and Supply Chain Director
11. Set up, update, and maintain supplier and material information in the KMM MRP system as necessary
a. Supplier name, address, payment terms, etc.
b. Material cost, inventory ABC code, receiving inspection level, shipment quantities, primary vendor, etc.
12. Lead a minimum of one (1) Kaizen event yearly
13. Participate in Kaizen events as requested
14. Participate in KMM and customer corrective actions as requested
15. Provide a monthly report to Program Managers and Supply Chain Director of all parts and services on contract including but not limited to:
a. Budget status
b. Inventory turns
c. Contract expiration
16. Devise negotiation strategy with Program Manger and Supply Chain Director for all programs/platforms as contracts are awarded, changed, or renewed
17. Total Cost reduction (direct, inventory, shipping, labor, payment terms etc.)
18. Maintain real-time list of all current contracts and associated materials and services
19. Customer requirements compliance and assurance for all quoting activities
20. Low or non-use material management
a. Program/platform termination
b. Program/platform or assembly change
c. Biannual evaluation of stagnant inventory (no use in past six (6) months)
21. Determine correct inventory ABC codes for all material:
a. Newly awarded program/platform
b. Renewed program/platform
c. Cost changes on one assembly >= 5%
d. Assembly material change
e. Quantity or schedule change
22. Quarterly inventory turn analysis and actions to meet/beat program and company goals
23. Yearly inventory turn strategy in conjunction with Procurement Coordinators, Program Managers, and Supply Chain Directors
24. Monthly material budget analysis for each program/platform (on and off contract) and actions to meet/beat program/platform and company goals
25. Contract term alignment (between customer, KMM, and supplier)
a. Newly awarded program/platform
b. Renewed program/platform
c. Customer or supplier change request in material, cost, quality, payment, quantity, schedule etc.
26. At minimum, annual review of all supplier contracts to ensure that pricing, shipments, terms, quality requirement, payments, etc. are in line with KMM and KMM’s customers.
27. Sale of excess inventory as necessary
28. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as required by job task.
29. Adhere to all KMM safety policies and practices as well as manufacturer recommendations on operation of all equipment and tools
30. Performs other related duties and assignments as required
31. This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks
EDUCATION / KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
1. The position requires that one of the following education/experience conditions be met:
a. Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Accounting, or related field. Experience in business management, accounting, negotiation, or contract management is preferred but not required.
b. Associate’s Degree in Business Management, Accounting, or related field AND two years of experience in business management, accounting, negotiation, or contract management.
c. Three years of experience in business, accounting, negotiation, or contract management.
2. The individual must exhibit the ability to understand and demonstrate basic accounting skills.
3. The individual must exhibit the ability to understand direct and soft costs, profit and loss, and time value of money.
4. The individual must exhibit the ability to understand basic contract law.
5. The individual must exhibit the ability to confidently negotiate.
6. The individual must exhibit the ability to organize and prioritize tasks to finish projects on tight schedules, and adapt to frequent changes.
7. The position requires the employee to have proficient computer skills as well as knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook. Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics and Access will be required following a reasonable training period.
8. The position requires self-motivation, accuracy with numbers, and proficient keyboarding skills as well the ability to work as a team member with other employees and departments.
9. The position requires the ability to handle frequent interruptions and high-pressure situations and to have the ability to communicate effectively and clearly with employees, suppliers and customers.
10. The below table details the minimum level of proficiency needed to be able to perform the job function of Negotiations and Contracts Specialist. Each skill is rated on a scale of 1 to 5:
1 = No ability or proficiency is needed in this skill; no training, education, or experience
2 = Very little ability or proficiency is needed in this skill; minimal training, education, or experience
3 = Moderate ability or proficiency is needed in this skill; some training, education, or experience
4 = Above average ability or proficiency is needed in this skill; multiple instances of focused training, education, or experience
5 = The highest level of ability and proficiency is needed in this skill; extensive focused training, education, or experience
Ability to objectively and successfully problem solve 4
Ability to prioritize tasks based on urgency, importance, and ability to spread 4
Ability to organize tasks, action items, desk, and daily work 4
Ability to lead others both inside and outside supply chain organization 2
Ability to manage stress levels to maintain productivity and quality 5
Ability to work democratically and productively within a team 3
Understanding of technical function of parts 1
Technical drawing reading 3.5
Contract law 3
Ability to gather information, analyze, and make a sound decision in a timely manner 4
Understanding of AS9100 3
Ability to do long-term job function planning (1-3 years ahead) 4
Ability to motivate self to exceed expectations 3
Ability to take the initiative to improve one’s work and the work of others 3
Understanding of budgets 4
Understanding of accounting (profit and loss, KMM costs, cash flow, etc.) 4
Understanding of purchasing terms and conditions 4
Understanding of supplier report cards (how quality and delivery are calculated and scored) 2
Ability to work with little or no direction on a daily basis 3
Ability to work with little or no direction on a weekly basis 4
Ability to work with little or no direction on a monthly basis 3
Ability to work with little or no direction on a yearly basis 3
Ability to make job improvements on your own 3
Ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams 3
Ability to understand functions of other departments (engineering, planning, etc.) 3
Ability to foresee problems before they happen 3
Understanding of MRP forecasting (how it works, what it affects) 4
Understanding of all supply chain MRP windows 4
Understanding MRP theory, information flow, and data output calculations 4
Ability to run, export, and interpret Crystal reports 3
Ability to modify or edit Crystal reports (add/delete fields, change calculations, formatting, etc.) 3
Ability to build Crystal reports from scratch 2
Knowledge of Excel formulations (add, multiply, vlookup, sumproduct, index, sort, conditional formatting, etc.) 3
Ability to communicate honestly, effectively, and with candor 3
Ability to find and run SmartLists 3
Ability to modify SmartLists 2
Ability to create new SmartLists 2
Ability to resolve interoffice conflicts with little or no assistance 4
The Negotiations and Contracts position requires a total average proficiency of 3.27 or greater on or before one year after the first date of employment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS ENVIRONMENT/WORKING CONDITIONS:
1. This position may require extended periods of sitting for daily computer tasks.
2. Employee must have the ability to use a computer and related software to transfer data as needed to computer programs.
3. This requires the ability to see written documents and a computer screen.
4. Position may require extensive phone use with the ability to interact with suppliers and customers. The use of standard office equipment will be required.
5. This position may require travel to other KMM sites to support those operations.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINERY USED:
1. This position requires the daily use of a computer and computer related software. The employee must be able to accurately and proficiently enter and retrieve data as needed for the job tasks.
2. Standard office equipment such as copiers, calculators etc will be used, etc
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
1. Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information and can interpret the information as needed accurately to internal and external teammates. The individual can analyze work performed and verify accuracy and completion of tasks.
2. Problem Solving—the individual identify and assist in the resolution of problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully by using knowledge gained through work experience and education. The individual provides process improvement ideas and solutions to problems and is proactive in addressing potential issues. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of providing and seeking assistance when needed.
3. Oral and Written Communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings effectively. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language. The individual must be able to effectively communicate through various forms of communication both written and verbal and internal and external.
4. Leadership—the individual inspires others to perform well and is willing to accept feedback from others. This individual must be able to show leadership through personal actions and a good solid work ethic that promotes teamwork and enthusiasm. The ability to listen and understand problems and issues clearly and to recognize subordinate or coworker problem, issues and frustrations with processes to assist in resolving these problems is critical to this function. The individual understands and practices a servant leadership attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding while providing guidance, assistance and direction.
5. Time Management Skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe.
The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area.
6. Quality Management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary. The individual demonstrates an understanding of the importance of the quality of work necessary to meet the customer expectations and the importance of their function in that process.
7. Judgment—the individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through quality work and attention to detail. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual is willing to seek assistance where needed. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures. This individual must have the ability to listen and engage others to understand and ensure that decisions affecting them have their input and ideas evaluated)
8. Planning/Organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The individual participates in 5S + Safety daily and keeps a clean and organized work area.
9. Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility.
10. Safety and Security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly and provides assistance as needed to the Safety Committee.
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and strive for 100% quality as well as be able to handle the job pressure of schedules and customer changes as well as occasional interruptions. There may be times where extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The Negotiations and Contracts Specialist must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer. Clear communication with supervisors in regards to production understanding of the process is paramount to the program success and employee success.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
The employee is representing KMM as a leader and/or through their contact with customers, vendors, community members and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace