Summary of responsibilities:
The purpose of this position is to provide guidance and support to production operations in the area of the Manufacturing Supervisors responsibility and to provide a work environment where coworkers have the tools, training and leadership to build a quality product. The Manufacturing Supervisors goal is to improve profits & cash flow. They will have the responsibility to communicate concise and clear data to assist and strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow while meeting program schedules and improving processes, to assist the team in process improvements and providing input to training needs through defect and process improvement data and to monitor and insure that a quality product is produced through teamwork. To do this, the Manufacturing Supervisor is responsible for the overall performance of all program production delegated to their oversight.
The Manufacturing Supervisor is responsible for the manufacturing performance and profitability
of the program she or he is assigned to manage. It is expected that the Manufacturing Supervisor
will represent KMM in a professional manner at all times, be responsive, and respectful. This
includes but is not limited to knowing, understanding, and implementing the 13 KMM
Capacities: Tooling and Capital Equipment, Facilities, Planning and Master
Scheduling, Procurement, Supplier Management, Quality and Delivery Performance,
Productivity Performance, Engineering Performance, Building Customer Relations, Continuous
Improvement / Lean, Communications, and IT.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
• Work with Team Leads and assist with the assignment of tasks to operators based on their training and individual capabilities and ensure that proper training has been provided to enhance their ability to provide a quality product on time.
• Manufacturing Profitability – continually monitoring and reporting manufacturing profitability through assessments such as but not limited to: Customer Satisfaction, FPY(First Pass Yield based upon daily defect data), Productivity, Material Management, Inventory Turns, Inventory Levels, Scrap, etc. Monitor manufacturing progress against committed plan, analyze progress, use analysis to continually and intentionally increase manufacturing capacities to increase efficiencies, and prepare weekly enhancement reports to the Program Manager
• Develop, implement, monitor, and continually enhance capacity management systems to enhance manufacturing profits:
• Tooling and Capital Equipment
• Planning and master scheduling
• Supplier management
• Quality and delivery performance
• Productivity performance
• Engineering performance
• Building customer relations
• Continuous improvement / lean
• Monitor, oversee, and direct day to day manufacturing operations to ensure that policies and procedures are being followed, that goals and objectives are met, and that manufacturing services and projects are being accomplished efficiently and effectively; takes corrective action as necessary
• Help develop, monitor, and implement activities to increase manufacturing profitability by analyzing cost effectiveness and exercising cost controls; prepare, submit, and justify manufacturing budget enhancement requests to the Program Manager
• Customer satisfaction – Assessments of customer satisfaction through customer report card information, FPY, daily defect data, Productivity, Inventory Turns, Inventory Levels, Scrap, and frequent interaction with customer representatives
• Monitor, oversee, provide direction, and leadership with respect to manufacturing processes and continuous improvement. Identify areas for continuous improvement with the goal of continuously driving out waste to increase profit
• Monitor, oversee, and provide guidance to assist the factory trainer to implement an effective training program to meet manufacturing requirements
• Facilitate resolution of issues. This may include setting up and moderating conflict resolutions and when necessary involving Human Resources and/or escalation to the Program Manager
• Develop and direct the implementation of manufacturing goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards
• Plan, organize, administer, review, and create self evaluation opportunities for the work of subordinate professionals, technical, support, and operational staff where present, through subordinate supervisors and lead workers
• Provide for the selection, training, professional development and work evaluation of manufacturing subordinate staff and make recommendations on hiring, termination, promotion, and discipline as required
• Monitor and stay abreast with manufacturing technology, legal (i.e. ITAR & Export Laws) and operational changes that affect the manufacturing activities and work processes of the program; make recommendations for the development and implementation of continuous improvement activities to assist insure the program meets changing mission parameters and requirements
• Maintain production/assembly certifications
• Hold and Maintain QID status where applicable.
• Prioritize and allocate available manufacturing resources
• Perform complex administrative duties requiring manufacturing oversight, attention to detail, and analysis; perform capacity planning and financial analysis, including assisting in preparation of specialized program and project budgets to include staffing and operational needs
• Prepares a variety of written manufacturing correspondence, reports, procedures, directives, and other materials
• Knowledge and enforcement of all KMM policies and procedures and a clear understanding and demonstration of all safety requirements is required
• This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks
• Maintain a document for weekly review to the Program Manager that demonstrates continual enhancement of the 12 KMM capacities
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information.
• Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully
• Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings. The individual is able to communicate in a manner that is respectful at all times.
• Delegation—the individual delegates work assignments, gives authority to work independently, sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
• Leadership—the individual inspires and motivates others to perform well, accepts feedback from others. The individual understands and practices a servant leadership attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding while providing guidance and direction.
• Management skills—the individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; and develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth. The individual has good personal time management skills to effectively schedule workload throughout the day.
• Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual regularly reviews work environment for improvement opportunities.
• Judgment—the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions.
• Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
• Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility.
• Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly
* Perform other related duties and assignments as required.
Education, prior work experience, and skills and knowledge:
To hold this position, one must have completed least a high school education or have obtained a GED. The employee must have intimate knowledge of aerospace manufacturing, at least 1-2 years experience with KMM operations, and have the ability to perform the calculations, reporting, and evaluations required. The position requires the employee to have proficient computer skills as well as knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Dynamics, Microsoft Excel and Outlook. Also, the position requires a working knowledge of required production standards as they apply to programs (JSTD, IPC 620, and IPC 610) that are contract and customer requirements. In addition, the position requires good communication skills, and the ability to professionally handle employee issues as they arise.
Physical requirements, i.e. vision, lifting, standing, sitting, etc, and environment/working conditions:
This position will require long periods of computer use while performing the reporting, tracking and planning requirements. The employee must have the ability to move freely throughout the production area to effectively evaluate program status and assist where needed with machinery, tooling and program analysis. This position requires the ability to clearly communicate through verbal and written means and will require frequent use of phone, e-mail and other standard office communication devises.
Equipment and machinery used:
The position requires the use of a computer, related software and other standard office equipment and knowledge of operation and safety requirements for the various equipment and machinery items used in the performance of the assigned programs.
Other (e.g., customer contact or access to confidential information):
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and be able to handle job pressure and interruptions. There may be times were extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The Manufacturing Supervisor must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees.
The employee is representing KMM through their contact with customers, vendors and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This position requires a certain level of independence and self assurance as well as critical thinking for decision making.
This position is considered a leadership position and as such is a representative of KMM and is therefore expected to be performed in a professional manner at all times.
The Manufacturing Supervisor will train, instruct, and monitor support staff roles and responsiveness to customers
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace.