Summary of responsibilities:
The purpose of this position is to provide guidance and support to KMM operations in the area of Information Technology. It is the individual’s responsibility to provide a work environment where coworkers have the tools and training to build a quality product. The IT Technician goal is to improve profits & cash flow through effective and operational IT systems that allow coworkers to produce a quality product with minimal delays or issues due to unnecessary computer system downtimes. Additional responsibilities include communicating concise and clear data to aid in waste elimination, providing a stable workflow that meets program schedules and improves processes, and assisting the team in process improvements. IT Technicians are also expected to provide input for training needs that aid in the collection, analysis, reporting and monitoring of defect data which ensures a quality product is produced through teamwork. The IT Technician is responsible for the overall performance of all systems delegated to their oversight.
Perform all tasks involved in maintaining and updating KMM’s network systems and computers. This includes the analysis of end user needs to establish the appropriate system configurations in hardware and software. In addition duties include the setup of computer hardware, software, and drivers and installation of programs. Coordinate with other departments to develop curriculum and provide training in various programs for supervisors and end users. Communicate effectively with all departments and management to solve any technical issues. The position requires a willingness to learn about any hardware or software used in the KMM network. This position summary reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and also includes but is not limited to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
• Perform tasks involved in maintaining and updating KMM’s network servers, software, workstations and network peripherals.
• Installation and updating of computer programs.
• Initial setup and rebuilds of computer hardware, software, and drivers.
• Research new technologies, hardware, and software that will improve the KMM IT infrastructure to enhance efficiency and productivity and/or reduce operating costs. Recommendations, proposals to include cost analysis and justifications for those items listed above are also expected.
• Perform maintenance and troubleshooting on the KMM telephone system.
• Coordinate with other departments to develop and provide training in various programs and hardware as needed by the end user.
• The position requires proficiency and at least an intermediate skill/knowledge level in MS Office (2000 – 2007), Current Windows operating systems. Knowledge of and proficiency in other Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Database, and Email applications would also be preferable.
• Communicate (both written and oral) effectively with all departments and management to help troubleshoot or solve any technical issues.
• Willingness to learn and be trained in use of various computer/network hardware and software.
• Perform related tasks in an accurate and timely manner.
• Travel for training and other job-related duties which may include travel and working from other sites to support the IT department.
• Work on weekends when necessary.
• Maintain a data tape backup on the network system.
• This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks.
*Performs other related duties and assignments as required
Core Attributes Requirements:
A successful IT Technician displays the following:
• Critical Thinking/Analysis—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information.
• Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of providing and seeking assistance when needed.
• Oral and written communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings effectively. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language. The individual must be able to effectively communicate through various forms of communication both written and verbal and internal and external.
• Leadership—the individual inspires others to perform well, accepts feedback from others. This individual must be able to show leadership through personal actions and a good solid work ethic that promotes teamwork and enthusiasm. The ability to listen and understand problems and issues clearly and to recognize subordinate or coworker problem, issues and frustrations with processes to assist in resolving these problems is critical to this function. The individual understands and practices a servant leadership attitude and treats everyone with respect and understanding while providing guidance, assistance and direction.
● Time Management skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area.
• Quality Management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary.
• Judgment—the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and is willing to seek assistance where needed. This individual must have the ability to listen and engage others to understand and ensure that decisions affecting them have their input and ideas evaluated.
• Planning/Organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
• Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility.
• Safety and Security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
Education, prior work experience, and specialized skills and knowledge:
Relevant work experience/education to the field and/or IT specific training is required. The position requires the employee to possess an intermediate knowledge and experience level with Windows XP and Microsoft Office. Knowledge of other applications such as Windows Server and various website design interfaces would be preferable. The position also requires a basic understanding of hardware such as desktops, laptops, network switches and routers, servers, printers, scanners, copiers, and fax machines. The ability/knowledge to be able to interface the previously mentioned hardware to one another and other peripherals would be preferable. The position requires good oral and written communication skills. Most importantly, the position requires a strong willingness to learn about the ever changing technology and support systems utilized at KMM.
Physical requirements, i.e. vision, lifting, standing, sitting, etc, and environment/working conditions:
This job will require working handling various computers in the course of programming and set up. This includes the physical aspects of wiring as required to set up workstations. The use of a ladder or lying on the floor may also become necessary while installing/maintaining systems at KMM. Lifting and moving hardware from racks, maintaining airports and wiring as needed. The employee will also be required to travel for training and work-related purposes. This travel may at times require the employee to provide their own transpiration as needed. This position may require lifting of 50-75 lbs with reasonable accommodation.
Equipment and machinery used:
The position requires the use of any computer or network hardware and software utilized in KMM’s network systems.
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and be able to handle job pressure and interruptions. There may be times were extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The IT Technician must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
The employee is representing KMM through their contact with customers, vendors and fellow employees and is expected to present themselves in a professional manner at all times.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace