Summary of responsibilities:
The purpose of this position is to maintain inventory and provide materials to the production area. This includes specialty areas depending on the facility and program. The Material Handler goal is to improve profits & cash flow, and they will have the responsibility to communicate concise and clear data to assist and strive to eliminate waste, provide a stable workflow while meeting program schedules and improving processes, to assist the team in process improvements and monitor and insure that a quality product is produced through teamwork.
The Material Handler position requires interaction with various coworkers and departments and it is expected that they will conduct themselves in a professional manner and at all times be responsive and respectful. For teamwork, quality production and production schedules to be met it is primary that all employees meet the attendance, productivity and quality work requirements as well as adhere to all of KMM policies and procedures.
Tasks involved in maintaining inventory includes all kitting and data entries for maintaining inventory on a daily basis but is not limited to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Accurate data entry into computer tracking system.
- Ability to read & understand and demonstrate the ability to effectively and accurately follow written instructions, drawings, and specifications.
- Accurate material tracking through cycle counts and inventory audits.
- Read and follow job scheduling & report the job material kitting status.
- Relocate material from receiving on daily basis to appropriate bin
- Includes bin transfers, kitting to MOs, and scrapping inventory
- Review job shortages daily and fill shortages as material is received
- Includes lookup of shortage in Dynamics, kitting to MO, and delivering parts to kit
- Process all material requisitions from Production
- Includes bin lookup, kitting to MO or scrapping item in Dynamics
- Includes notifying buyer if no stock is on hand
- Physically and Electronically kit jobs
- Includes use of handheld scanners, monitoring job release status, running picklists, and creating paperwork packet for MO
- Face inventory shelves as needed
- Includes consolidating totes and bin transfers
- Perform routine cycle counts on inventory – minimum monthly schedule or as designated by accounting
- Includes running report of top dollar inventory, verifying counts, and making necessary corrections in Dynamics
- Includes scanning documents and saving for year-end audit
- Handle customer material requests:
- Includes packaging components, delivering to QA with C of C and delivering component to shipping.
- Awareness and execution of First-In First-Out (FIFO) inventory method
- Use of oldest lot first when consuming inventory
- 5S / Continuous Improvement
- Includes cleaning and organizing of workstations and material storage area and eliminating supplies not needed
- Includes participating in Accelerated Improvement Workshops (AIW or Kiazan) to improve efficiencies
- Point Improvements
- Follow all safety requirements
*Performs other related duties and assignments as required
Education, prior work experience, and skills and knowledge:
This position has a minimal education requirement of a high school diploma or GED equivalent. This position will require daily use of a computer for data entry. This position also requires the employee to have basic computer knowledge of specific programs used within the department (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Dynamics, Microsoft Excel and Outlook). In addition, this position also requires excellent communication skills to effectively communicate any material issues to Procurement, Quality Department and Production areas. These communication skills must be both verbal and written. The employee must have the ability to read and understand material requirements and procedures.
Physical requirements, i.e. vision, lifting, standing, sitting, etc, and environment/working conditions:
Employee must be able to read .37M from the Graham-Field vision chart to be able to read component numbers, documents and measurement devices. Daily activities may include extended periods of sitting and entering data into the computer system.
This position requires some stooping, reaching, stretching and extended periods of standing or sitting. Employee must have the ability to use a computer, enter and transfer data as needed into specific computer programs, which requires the ability to be able to enter and retrieve data with accuracy and proficiency. The position requires that the employee be able to lift up to 50 lbs for transferring material as needed to designated areas.
Equipment and machinery used:
This position requires the use of a computer and related software as necessary in completing job tasks. This may at times require the use of hand held scanners, equipment carts or other such devices for labeling and transferring of material.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information and can interpret the information as needed accurately to internal and external teammates. The individual can analyze work performed and verify accuracy and completion of tasks. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
- Problem Solving—the individual identify and assist in the resolution of problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully by using knowledge gained through work experience and education. The individual provides process improvement ideas and solutions to problems and is proactive in addressing potential issues. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of providing and seeking assistance when needed. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
- Oral and Written Communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language. The individual must be able to effectively communicate through various forms of communication both written and verbal and internal and external.
- Time Management skills—the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
- Management skills—the individual can effectively manage projects or programs through effective time management and ensure that critical issues are resolved in a timely manner. Effective organization skills and daily attention to the elimination of waste in personal, department, and production processes is required. The individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement, makes self available to staff and provides regular performance feedback, has a plan for the development of subordinates’ skills and encourages growth within their organization.
- Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary. The individual demonstrates an understanding of the importance of the quality of work necessary to meet the customer expectations and the importance of their function in that process. The individual meets the measurement for FPY where applicable and strives to make improvements where necessary. This competency will be demonstrated through increases in operator FPY.
- Judgment—the individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through quality work and attention to detail. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual is willing to seek assistance where needed. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The individual participates in 5S + Safety daily and keeps a clean and organized work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
- Lean / Process Improvements – the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility.
- Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly and provides assistance as needed to the Safety Committee.
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and strive for 100% quality as well as be able to handle the job pressure of schedules and customer changes as well as occasional interruptions. There may be times where extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The Material Handler must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer. Clear communication with supervisors in regards to production understanding of the process is paramount to the program success and employee success.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.
KMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D and a Drug, Alcohol and Weapons Free Workplace