Wire Cutter/Material Handler
Job Title: Wire Cutting Material Handler
Program: Dickinson Facility
Position Code: WIRMTL
EEO Class: Operatives
FLSA Status: Hourly
Summary of Responsibilities:
The purpose of this position is to provide and accurate and stable workflow to the production floor of the necessary wire for the build needs. This requires following written instructions and details, programming wire cutting machines and equipment used for ID markers as well as kitting material to specific jobs. This position will require moving heavy wire spools, learning how to program the equipment, and working on the computer as needed.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
• Importing connector and sleeve files.
• Filling Requisitions.
• Creating ID’s for connectors and wires
• Verifying Wire Count.
• Kitting wire physically
• This individual has the responsibility and authority to carry out assigned tasks
* Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
Education, prior work experience, and skills and knowledge:
The position requires the employee to have or learn computer skills including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and wire cutting software. This position requires the ability to perform computer entries accurately and in a timely fashion to ensure that cut files and material inventory is accurate and accountable. The position requires good communication skills to work with Engineering, Team Leads and Operators as needed to ensure that schedules are met and material is provided as needed to fill the needs of the production operations.
• This position requires the ability to see .37 on the Graham Field chart with or without magnification to be able to read wire identification which is critical to the identification process;
• Lifting 1to 20 lb Totes onto carts after kitting process
• Standing for extended periods of time while verifying and kitting wire and sitting; for medium periods of time while creating/importing connector and wire ID’s also filling requisitions.
• Able to work in a fast paced environment, self-motivated, work with interruptions
*Must be able to pass the physical testing requirements.
Equipment and machinery used:
Computer and computer related software; Sumimark 4 Sleeving machine, Brady label machine and various other hand tools
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Problem Solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully. The individual embraces the concept of team participation in problem solving and understands the importance of providing and seeking assistance when needed. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Oral and Written Communication—the individual communicates clearly and respectfully with others and avoids situations that are negative and potentially destructive to the team environment. The individual communicates with the team to effectively provide input for process improvements and lean activities to enhance product and work environment. The individual speaks clearly and respectfully at all times including stressful situations. The individual can work effectively with all levels of coworkers and can communicate in clear, understandable and concise language.
• Time Management Skills-the individual effectively manages work time to ensure that they are engaged and focused to provide a quality product in the allocated timeframe. The individual must be able to effectively manage their time to avoid unnecessary absenteeism or time away from the work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Quality Management-the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. The individual is engaged in the operation requirements to provide a quality product in all steps of the process. The individual can understand and follow all quality requirements and will seek assistance where necessary. The individual demonstrates an understanding of the importance of the quality of work necessary to meet the customer expectations and the importance of their function in that process. The individual meets the measurement for FPY where applicable and strives to make improvements where necessary. This competency will be demonstrated through increases in operator FPY.
• Judgment—the individual understands the complexity and importance of the job function and demonstrates this through quality work and attention to detail. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions. The individual is willing to seek assistance where needed. The individual shows good judgment by adherence to company policies and procedures. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Planning/organizing-the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently. The individual participates in 5S + Safety daily and keeps a clean and organized work area. This competency will be demonstrated through improved productivity, FPY, and an increase in certifications.
• Lean / Process Improvements-the individual has an understanding of the lean environment goals and is actively engaged in process improvements in all areas of responsibility. This competency will be demonstrated through cycle time reductions (productivity increase) and decreases in daily defects (improved FPY)
• Safety and Security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly and provides assistance as needed to the Safety Committee.
Other (e.g., customer contact or access to confidential information):
It is KMM’s expectation that the employee will know, understand and adhere to all KMM policies, procedures, standards of conduct and adhere to KMM Mission Statement and Values. They must be trustworthy, honest, dependable, and able to work and be a part of the teamwork environment at KMM. In addition the employee must be self motivated and exemplify good attention to detail and strive for 100% quality as well as be able to handle job pressure and interruptions. There may be times where extra hours are necessary to meet customer delivery requirements.
The continued success of KMM is reliant upon the engagement of employees to provide continuous improvements through lean activities and process improvement activities and recommendations. Quality of product is paramount to KMM and the employee’s continued employment and as such the ability to perform the functions of the job will be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that these requirements are met.
Communication and transparency are critical to the success of this position. The employee must foster a culture of commitment and proactive response to any KMM coworker or customer.
As a KMM employee it is an expectation that you will treat coworkers with respect and will refrain from any comments or actions at work, in public or on public networking sites that could be considered as liable or degrading to KMM or your fellow employees. KMM has no tolerance for discriminatory behavior of any kind.
This position requires a certain level of independence and self assurance as well as critical thinking for decision making.
This position may require travel for training, to customers and/or other KMM facilities as needed and this may include working at other locations periodically and/or possibly for extended periods of time to support operations and fulfill job requirements In the event that a KMM vehicle is not available for use the employee will be required to provide their own transportation.
This job description is not intended as a written contract or a promise of continued employment but a guide to job duty requirements. Other tasks or duties may be assigned as needed to perform the daily operations to provide customer satisfaction and a quality product.
This document is considered proprietary to KMM and may not be copied, transmitted or shared outside KMM without express written permission from the H. R. Director or KMM Executive Management.